i said it once and i will say it again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Nov 23, 2013.

1. williang83

williang83 Registered

i said it once and i will say it again, one of the most missing things are information about tyres, motors, break and other stuff. In real life everyone receive basic info about the tyres (suggested temperatures, pressures, etc..), about motor (curves, suggested temperatures, etc..) and brakes (suggested temperature window).
    These information are crucial and it is sad that we don't have not even some sort of basic range to start from.
    C'mon ISI do something, I'm not asking for a perfect information but rather for at least some rough information.

2. datanode

datanode Registered

I am confused, this is race knowledge? I would suggest expecting isi to provide this information is a little odd. The sim provides you with running temperatures you have for brakes and tyres.

Also the sim provides pressures that are temperature affected, I.e. Running pressures. You can see these in plugins like track map.

You have seen these ? Display HUD bottom right :)

I generally start with a base setup and run a few laps until I feel the brakes are performing. Then I note that temperature. If I noticed brake fade then I would also note that temperature. That gives me a base range to set my brake cooling and what I feel is the optimum.

I am sure there are plenty of racers with experience that can help, yes including ISI staff. Is that what you are after? Have you tried setup books or guides online?

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

There is plenty of info imo. TrackMap plugin provides even more. One just has to know where to look for it.:)

4. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

What williang83 is asking for is what are the optimum temps and pressures of any giving car......this site http://www.carstat.net/Default.aspx provides some info on the mods for now.

5. ViSo

ViSo Registered

carstat.viso36.es
    Thats my website, is updated, and not like that old carstat.net, dont trust their values. Im not web designer so my website isnt perfect but you have everything needed.

Enviado desde mi MI 2S mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
  6. williang83

williang83 Registered

Well thank you. I just checked you forgot to write at which rpm engine's provide the max HP

7. ViSo

ViSo Registered

First, thanks you for giving feedback.
    And yes, you are right, but for now I dont have a way to check that, I want to use the grip/tirewear graphics, and the power/torque graphics, but like before, I dont have any program to check that things, so for now I cant give that info.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Isn't there a program that can just pull all the values out of the cars' txt files of all the physics stuff and tell you all this info?

Weight, grip, hp, torque, track width, wheelbase, tyre width, weight distribution, front/rear/overall downforce, downforce distribution, cog height, drag, brake thickness, unsprung weight (could be usefull when trying to decide between different wheel rim sizes, widths and brake sizes/thicknesses), optimum brake/tyre/engine temp, dangerous brake/tyre/engine temps, etc etc

Then you you got graph/curves of not only engine power and torque curves, but tyre grip vs wear curve, tyre grip vs temp curve, engine torque/hp vs temp curve, engine wear vs temp curve.

It all has to be pulled in realtime from the game, can't just be some who makes a picture or mod writeup

Speaking of write-ups, we need way more technical details about mods/cars/tracks. The mod makers should explain way more about car specifics and such all in-game so that it all follows a nice clean structured way.

Omg I could totally see myself spending way too much time going through all the technical specs of car after car in the menu, looking at things like how a different hood affects the car's drag or engine cooling, how a different diffuser not only affects downforce and drag, but the weight as well.

This would be amazing, so interesting to see all the little differences when trying to decide between different rear wings, tyres, rims, camshafts, turbos, body styles, or entire cars all together.

Man. I would choose devoting/sacrificing 3 months of graphics or sound development time to something like this (I'm a huge sound guy, place it only third to physics and FFB, but ahead of graphics) ANYDAY.

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Your title is not informative.

10. datanode

datanode Registered

+1 and I was only trying to be kind. People are so helpful here :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
  11. williang83

williang83 Registered

then sorry guys i try to be more informative next time

12. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

What i would find most interesting would be the effect of camber on the tires. Especially since we have very different tires in this game.
    I always find it hard to get an optimum camber angle in a setup, because you can't really test them against each other under the same conditions.
    Real race engineers have those graphs from the tire testing machines, telling them which camber angle at which pressure at which load of the wheel is optimal.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1. Those text files are in a MAS file.
    2. That MAS file could be encrypted.
    3. 'dangerous' temperatures, RPM, etc, is very dependent on how the values are set up. You can start RPM damage at 80% of redline but make a car easily last race distance or start it at 105% of redline and have a single early downshift kill the engine - brake temps are similar. Not easy to evaluate automatically.

Points 1 and 2 above would apply, with the added difficulty of not just having a figure to pull out. (unlike rF1, where the optimum camber angle is defined explicitly in the TBC)

I don't even know if a modder can find this out by running tests in ttool, and apparently there is still more refinement to come with tyre pressures in the model so any current results might become invalidated anyway.

And yeah, thread title sucks.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok maybe I went overboard, but still, there is still lots of info that can be pulled from the files. I know RF1 was less sophisticated than RF2, but as an example in RFactor 1's physics files, engine parameter files, etc. you could clearly read things like optimum tyre/brake pressure/temp, optimum rake (and possibly ride height) for max diffuser downforce, engine power at lots of rpm steps, and so on. Lots of things were clearly and straightforwardly defined in the files.

15. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Now you have that fixed :) now the Max Power show at which rpm is.
    I added an engine torque/power graphic too.

But, both things are still being finished, I have to add them to all mods, only GTR, 370z, Barber, BT20, Clio and BES are updated (6 of 16 mods), I have 2 league races this week so I will not updated all mods really soon, but I hope all mods will be updated on sunday.