i keep getting CTD.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CountryWalks, Jan 28, 2014.

1. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Hi'

System

ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory Kit 1600MHz DDR3
    vga: Asus GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3GB Nvidia
    motherboard: Asus Z87M-PLUS LGA1150 Intel Z87 Express DDR3 microATX
    psu: Corsair CX600M Builder Series 600W Modular Power Supply
    ssd: Samsung 830 Series 256GB
    cpu: Intel Core i7 4770K

Nothing is overclocked its all stock.

mods and tracks installed

~IsR~Lola T280 Cup.rfmod
    Civic Mix.rfmod
    Essington_Park_1.04.rfcmp
    ISI_Brianza_1966-v144.rfcmp
    ISI_Eve_Vehicle-v148.rfcmp
    ISI_LochDrummond_2013-v110.rfcmp
    ISI_MillsMetro_2011-v143.rfcmp
    ISI_PalmBeach_2012-v143.rfcmp
    ISI_Silverstone_2012-v101.rfcmp
    ISI_Spark_Talent-v148.rfcmp
    lolat280_talent_11.rfcmp
    Ring_Tourist_0.97n.rfcmp
    BTCC_Civic_Talent-v106.rfcmp
    civic@essingtonpark.rfmod
    HondaCivicBTCC-v105.rfcmp
    ISI_BT20_Vehicle-v148.rfcmp
    ISI_LimerockPark_2012-v143.rfcmp
    ISI_Malaysia_2007-v142.rfcmp
    ISI_MonteCarlo_1966-v146.rfcmp
    ISI_Portugal_2009-v143.rfcmp
    ISI_SkipBarber_2010-v146.rfcmp
    ISI_Spark_Vehicle-v148.rfcmp
    lolat280_vehicule_13.rfcmp
    VLM-v090-LeMans91.rfcmp
    Canyelles54_1.01.rfcmp
    Civic_BTCC_Car-v107.rfcmp
    ISI_Belgium_1966-v143.rfcmp
    ISI_EVE_Historics_1968-v149.rfcmp
    ISI_LochDrummond_2013-v101.rfcmp
    ISI_Marussia_MR01_2012-v142.rfcmp
    ISI_Mores_2013-v1.02.rfcmp
    ISI_Renault_Clio_PaceCar_2010.rfcmp
    ISI_Spark_Historics_1968-v149.rfcmp
    lolat280_sound_11.rfcmp
    Marussia Mix.rfmod
    VLM-v190-Sebring.rfcmp

I thought I had this worked out but I hadn't :(
    My problem is the game keeps CTD there is no time limit or any warning it can happen when im on track or in the lobby, But seems fine in single player mode.
    mod im using at the mo is civic@essingtonpark but it crashes on other mods to.
    Any sugestions would be great.

TIA

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Any ? well okay.

http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/132-Technical

1. Copy and paste your rFactor2 folder anywhere for the time being.
    2. Delete everything in your orginal rFactor folder ie: so it is empty.
    3. Install a 2nd copy of rFactor Lite to your empty rFactor2 folder
    4. Start rFactor2 , it will be activated and running.
    5. Boot rfactor2
    6. Make a new player profile : ie: re-do all settings possible.
    7. Open Mod Manager and install ONLY THE STOCK ISI CONTENT you use , nothing else.
    8. Start rF2 if it CTDs I will fall off my chair.

9. Process of Elimination

10. ONE at a TIME Add 3rd party content. ONE at a TIME means you do not add a 2nd mod till you check the first one.

11. Test each car, track or vmod OFFLINE , then ONLINE. ( To test offline I simply click through sessions start a race then close it 10 seconds later )
    **If it crashed after 10 seconds you likely have a hardware issue or settings not content problem.

12. Repeat this procedure with each car track mod you want to use till you find the CTD.

*** Add and Test skins last

** While you are at it you can run each race in accelerated mode and make yourself some rubber at least.
    ( Some tracks have problems with old build rubber as example )

Sure it is a pain in the butt but most likely that won't take as long as waiting for the answer from others.

13. Once you happy no CTD add setups anything else you use, should be ready for proper test.

14. When you finally happy .............. BACKUP or IMAGE ( I recommend ) that rFactor2 folder up as a " 5 minute fall back folder". ;)

15 Regularly backup ( daily / weekly ) your UserData folder to a archive so you have any setups or skins you made or downloaded after the folder was backed up.

*** I do not recommend you keep updating you "fall back folder "
    Just keep a regular separate archive of your Packages and UserData .........you can't go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  3. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Thanks for this help I appreciate it.
    I will work on that solution tomorrow and fingers crossed it works.
    I'll post my results here good or bad.
    Thanks again.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Pretty much if you understood a word I said........... lopl ( forum joke )

That is basically the same steps what I would do with say rF or GTR , GTL , GPL.

The CTD is probably something minor in a non ISI mod the fact you mention a mod works offline suggests that.

So if you do a fresh rF2 folder with no 3rd party and you get no CTD you can rule out hardware and settings pretty much in one hit.

Then tackle the addons.

;) Good Luck

5. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Good news for both of us :) looks like you don't have to " fall off your chair" and my hardware seems ok.

I did as you said and installed the light version, then installed isi official touring clio then while in the isi server i did the 15 min quli then a 10 lap race then after the race I just waited for the server to restart session then did another 15 min quli and started the next race I did a lap then quite out and installed brabham mix. again in the isi server I did some quli laps waited for race did a lap then quite. so far everything is fine and i am very happy its not my hardware :).

Today i will be adding more isi mods and tracks saving my rf folder as i go and if i do get a ctd i should be able to say what mod or track or server it is and will let you know.

Thanks mate and i appreciate you taking the time to help me.

6. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Yeah, the best way is the lite installer (always) just then the mods, in this case one by one, good luck!

7. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Is it a new system or upgraded ? Just asking as I put a nvidia GTX 770 in over xmas then my problems begun, turned out it was Fazerbox's hud, a guy in our clan has just updated to a GTX780 (last week) and has found the same thing with his pc, removed the HUD and it's all good again.
    I hope your luckier with yours.
    Here's where my post start if ya wanna read it all as to how I came to blame the HUD..
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16951-R9-290-or-GTX-770-4GB?p=235727&viewfull=1#post235727

SS

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Unless you simply have too many cars visible and are running out of memory (remember we're not a 64bit app), then do you have any plugins installed?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Very good post Durge ! Should be linked to Denstjiro's Wiki thread.

11. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Its a new pc I put together just for gaming over 3 monitors. since my new install and mod selection I've not had any ctd, so that's hope it stays that way, Interesting about the Fazerbox's hud, I only installed the trackmap plug-in yesterday so will keep that in mind.

Tim I have 14 cars visible and I have the plug-ins that came with the game plus trackmap 0.94

View attachment 11564

View attachment 11565

12. datanode

datanode Registered

So have you removed trackmap plugin (aka fazerbox HUD) and tried again. Correct me if I am wrong but confusingly, trackmap is the HUD thing ...

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm confused. In post #5 CountryWalks appeared to say everything was fine after a completely clean install, and so far he hasn't reported finding what was causing the issue. All good.

Twice now he's been asked about possible causes and what might fix it - when the problem is already 'fixed' awaiting reproduction. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

14. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

From the start I installed rf2 also installed loads of mods and the trackmap plugin and I started to get ctd and I had no idea why, So I asked here and was talk to uninstall everything make a new install and go from there.

Everything was going great so I installed a few mods and still all good so I then installed trackmap and spent best part of the morning setting up the hud locations for my rez, Anyway all was going good so I installed a few mods and still good so I posted here to say all seems good with the new install, HOWEVER the following morning I started getting ctd but only online so remembering what "smellyskidmark said so I un-installed the hud and its been fine since so what more can I say.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, thanks for the update :)

My confusion was directed at other people, by the way, not you... lol

16. datanode

datanode Registered

Well to clarify what I was asking. Was that the HUD and trackmap were the same thing. I just wanted to make sure country walks new that. If I confused the situation more I apologise.

Anyway, So you can't get it to work with the track map plugin. Weird thing is, neither could I at one point, but it all works again now.

Now you have identified the issue, have you tried enabling again? did you update the plugin and update the dll file ? Did you have the latest version.

If I recall my issue was a new install was required. I think I just deleted the layout configs and put a new dll file in the plugin data folder.

17. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

To me it seams as though a new nvidia card is the problem, I tried old and new drivers to get the same result. My card is a GTX770 4gig, my other clan member's is a GTX780 as is the OP's, but I don't know how old his graffix card is, but I'd guess it's new as well. And somehow the new cards don't like the HUD from Fazorbox. I have messaged him but no reply as yet. Is anyone else getting this or is it just a small few of us to get this?
    My System is Win 7-64

SS

18. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Since ive removed the hud plugin ive had no problems and i was racing a good 90mins last night with no problems at all, so im sure it is the hud plugin.

So my next question would be is there a trackmap alternative that we could use because I like that map up on my screen for new tracks yet to learn, also helps knowing where others are on track.

19. datanode

datanode Registered

Not that I know of, have you tried resetting you trackmap config files, be sure to back then up if you have a specific setup.

It might be something configured in the plugin, so try some different options.

+1 helping to see when people are approaching. I wouldn't use it for learning though, that is just a driving and prep skill. The map plugin for learning could be detrimental to that process.

20. Miro

Miro Registered

I had some strange problems tonight too.
    For the first time with rF2 I got some CTd's just before our league race. It just crashed all the time whilst trying to join the server or being on the server.
    Then I could remember people saying the trackmap plugin would cause this so I uninstalled it but had again CTD's.
    I installed it again and then I couldn't fire up rF2 at all.

After launching SP or MP I just get a black screen and had to quit rF2 via the task manager.
    No idea how to solve it, luckily I still had the last release candidate installed and just updated this one via the auto updater so I can run the league race.