I am going into neutral when breaking :o ( without downshift)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by André Felipe, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Leynad

Leynad Registered

It must happen to others as well (like André), since it's not the wheel(s). After the fresh install I forgot to disable it, but now it's off again plus 100 ms minimum shift-time and so far so good. But such issues just shouldn't happen in the first place and I guess it might depend on the time between shifts, so might not happen to people who shift a bit faster or slower or it depends on the hardware. Anyway it happens here without tweaks and if it's due to the N-gap between the gears, it should be fixable.

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I meant that when one was pressed the other could trigger because of some mechanical or electrical glitch. I think we're talking two issues here: André's (going to neutral when breaking) and Leynad's (going to neutral when downshifting). I was responging to the latter.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As Bernat said above, I don't know that Andre's issue is the same as yours. He's also in some sort of Merc, which I imagine would have a downshift time under 20ms - very little time in Neutral to manage to hit another downshift and go into Reverse, if that's possible during a gear-gear Neutral.

rF1 and rF2 have always shown N between sequential gears. It also shows up in telemetry, even with very fast modern gearbox changes. I've never heard of anyone managing to pull into reverse during the hundreds of thousands of downshifts, and that's just in the few hundred races I was directly involved in.

Granted there is now downshift protection involved, so maybe that's another factor. But given the evidence on hand so far, I wouldn't be betting on the issue being a downshift during that between-gear-neutral. It's possible, but let's not assume that's what's happening. Again, there are people pounding around in these GT cars every day - if this were a common thing (and remembering the repeat shift setting is 0 by default) we should be hearing a lot more about it.

4. Leynad

Leynad Registered

The video in the first post is a perfect example what happens if you downshift into reverse while moving fast and since it happens to me numerous times with different hardware, it happens to other people as well. They probably add this shift-minimum-time and problem solved. I would prefer that those issues doesn't happen in the first place.

5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Don't forget that this could be a hardware glitch. I had issues in rF2 (and other sims that didn't feature a minimum shift delay) with double downshifts and causing me to spin due to my hardware getting a older and propably also accumulating dirt. I am using a DFGT where the buttons are going to fade over time simply due to the cheap nature of the design. The minimum shift delay option is a valid and great feature to overcome such issues. There is zero info in the OP on what kind of hardware or controller setup is used so I would be carefull to claim that both issues reported in this threat are the same.

6. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi @Leynad

I tried to reproduce this.
    I spammed the paddle shifter as fast as I can, like full retard mode, it isn't going into reverse without manually selecting neutral first.
    Sounds like hardware/driver bug or maybe even human error.
    Not trying to troll but I feel like Lazza said, if what your describing is a thing I would expect a lot of complaints not just 1 person.

Regards.

7. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Just live with the fact that different people have different issues and nothing wrong with my hardware. I've even changed both base and wheel and both produce the same issue. Maybe running 6 DOF plus 7 shakers is a bit too much to process for this title. Just had a LFM-race and the audio was seconds off sync during most parts of the track and had to drive like I'm deaf. WTF is this?

I'm running a 10700k with RTX 3080 on pancake super-ultrawide 49" 1440p btw. and framerates were okay. Maybe using TrackIR was too much for rF2...?

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've driven with the double pull to neutral & then reverse system for years with three separate wheels and never saw this. Of course I never TRIED to induce that behavior by speed shifting. I just got all my gear back up a day or two ago, so I'll try later today to see if I can replicate it. I also never paid attention to the N flashing momentarily between gears, so another thing to look for.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Leynad can you post your player.json and controller.json here please?

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Also, I'm gonna be testing with Fanatec mechanical shifters. @Leynad, do you by any chance have magnetic paddles?

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Using the Ferrari GT3, I was able to see the N pop-up on the steering wheel LCD panel while rapidly downshifting. The car did not spin or go into reverse but I did blow the engine repeatedly with that rapid downshift method to 1st. I was not able to downshift quickly enough to reach reverse via neutral. I would guess that high end wheels might have shift mechanisms that are faster than my CS V2.5 wheel though.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

N showing is normal.

@davehenrie when a controller is playing up, and is doing multiple presses itself, it happens very quickly. Much faster than any person can do themself. (the person presses once, and 2 presses are registered) The fix is either replace the button, clean the contacts, or enable/increase the "repeat shifts" setting. Some uber expensive wheel isn't going to allow someone to miraculously double press faster, or even as fast as, that malfunction.

This has always been a thing in rFactor. I don't know about other sims, but many games are set with a higher gap between inputs (so people will play codemasters F1 and have no issue, then get double shifts in rF2).

Note:- this has always resulted in double-shifts. I've had this issue myself, I've known many people who have also had it, and I've never heard of the car shifting into Reverse.

So I'm asking for the json files to see if they help reproduce it, as I doubt it's anything to do with just shifting down.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022