How would you create a simple Championship mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by msportdan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I know many people ask at one point and would like a vanilla feature in RF2. However it looks like the debs refuse to do this in their exe (ok fair enough)

So where would you start in creating a mod to do a simple custom championship:-

-pick a car/series.
    -Choose race options
    -Choose track calendar
    -Default point scoring table and constructors (if poss)

and off you go.

As you see nothing fancy just a simple tallied table.

So where would i start, as i have no clue!

Please no one just say excel lol

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am not sure what you are exactly asking for so I'll tell you what I typically do:

1. I first select the cars which I will use. If using multiple cars the most important is that they are balanced. For that the best is that a experienced driver tries them all in a representative track and compares average stint laptimes. It is important as well that tire lifetime and fuel autonomy are similar. Available tire compounds should be the same. Using non encrypted mods is a plus since small differences in efficiency or available setup options can be tuned to your preferences. Some very basic car modding knowledge is required for these.

2. Second I check that I can adjust fuel and tire duration with ingame multipliers to make an interesting strategy. This may vary to the likings of each one. For one hour long races I try to adjust it so that one or two pitstops both make sense. This can be difficult and might need to be adjusted by varying pit times for refueling and tyre change in the hdv file. It might not work the same for all tracks but that is something that I take it as positive. A track with a very short pitlane and high tire wear might have a 2 stop strategy as the fastest whereas a long pitlane and tire duration will favour 1 single stop.

3. I set the number of maximum available drivers in the championship. This can have a lot of importance in track selection if using large grids.

4. I select tracks that suit the car and that have at least as many garage positions as maximum drivers. Tracks need to be fully tested if not known to avoid disgusting surprises that might spoil a race.

5. I fix the calendar according to the periodicity I want to use watching out if any holiday is in between.

6. I decide quali format (parc ferme, superpole, private ...) and if poleman scores.

7. I set scoring charts depending on the number of people I expect. Usually I give points to the first half of the grid: 12 out of 24 for example. The last scoring driver has one point and I increase linearly until I reach the podium positions which I give some more points as in real F1 for example. Bonus for finishing the race is optional.

8. I decide penalties criteria. We use mainly time penalties depending on the severity of the action.

9. I set the preliminary vmod with the first track and open a server with it so that people can try it and join the championship.

10. I announce the championship in the inscription thread with the downloads to the join the server. I include skin templates so that people prepares his personalized skin.

11. When inscription deadline ends I prepare the final mod with the drivers, teams and skins. I create the fibal vmod for first race and update the server with it.

12. I configure SLS with drivers, teams, scoring criteria and penalties.

13. I create the first race thread with the new downloads.

For all these I don't need any special tool that wasn't mentioned. Usually for most of the decisions I use a piece of paper where I take notes. When things are more defined I will make some excel sheet as you said :). Having the driver, team, car list is very important for many things.

I am not sure if I helped you much but at least I enjoyed typing it. It might help others.

3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

thanks for the post mate.

but i meant purely offline against the ai?!

Cheers

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

1) create an rfmod with the cars you want to use. In the rfm you can specify the pace car and a lot of other settings you want to use.

2) if you want specific named drivers, you can use the create driver feature and give the drivers names and specify their strong points and liveries

3) Use this utility for scoring and race results

4) spend time to create realroad profiles and train AI

5) when you set up the race, add AI and boot the AI you don't want and manually add the AI you created and do want in the race from the actual offline race lobby

5. msportdan

msportdan Banned

thats sounds like a absolute mission lol....

Why does step 4 need to be done isnt the vanilla settinsg ok?

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Because AI strength and racing line will depend on that.

7. msportdan

msportdan Banned

has anyone managed to do this in reality?

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I find the Z AI is great out of the box, but very few other mods have decent AI without training. I never touch a green track either.

I have done some of the steps (I didn't bother with 2 since the names or skins don't really matter to me) but the Indycars aren't good enough (TBH) to bother with the season so I scrapped it. The Indycars have too many issues and are not up to my standards of quality and the tracks I selected had some major issues as well. But as proof-of-concept, yes it worked.

9. msportdan

msportdan Banned

thats strange ive not seen that many problems with ai paths on the isi tracks, even mod tracks to the matter. To be fair im no indy fan so havent raced that much. i was impressed with what i did experience vo. But im ony ruinning the 90s% so maybe that may effect them crashing going off etc?