How to turn in quickly without losing grip.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 15, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Things to do with setup?

This bugs me with cars that have low grip. I can not turn in like I should imangine it should be done. Just spinning all over the place. Corvette is a good example. Do not want to be overly cautious while turnng into a corner.

2. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Maybe increase your rear grip first, since you have alot of steering ( so much that you spin, if i understood your post ), you should increase rear grip.

- Slow weight transfer to the front ( harder springs at front, stiffer slow rebound dampers at rear, stiffer slow bump dampers at front )
    - softer rear roll bar and / or stiffer front roll bar
    - adjust diff lock for the coast setting, see if more or less lock improves the problem
    - increase rear toe-in

Remember that it could easily result in a car understeering at or after the apex. Maybe adapt your turning in style.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Will try these. I have some setup guide but I usually just check how to get more grip from that :p

Never touch roll bars, dampers etc.

I just do not feel some cars atm when I'm turning in (Corvette and other like it).

4. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

I think the Corvette is, regarding the default setup, unstable at turn in, havent tried it on tracks with alot of rubber yet though. Tested on Portugal with little to no rubber.

I tried following changes to the default setup and it drives alot more stable:

- Diff Coast 80%
    - Rear Springs 175 N/mm
    - Rear Rollbar 18 Nm
    - Front Toe-Out -0.05°
    - Rear Toe-In 0.25°

The softer springs made the biggest difference along with the diff. Try out for yourself though

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I already posted in another thread that it is not car related. It has more to do with contact patch and pressure influence. Right now front tyres have much bigger contact patch (and it means grip) than rear tyres and that causes mechanical balance instability. Problem is that tyre pressure has almost no influence on how these tyres behave. Right now rear tyres behave like they have much higher pressure than they should and that causes center of a tyre to have higher temperature than inside shoulder. That messes up contact patch and rear end stability. When it gets fixed it will be much more stable. It won't transform c6r into gripfest but it will be more predictable and stable when it comes to turning and braking (right now it is quite wobbly, isn't it?). You will have more confiadnce in rear end.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Oh ok sorry i didnt know that yet, thanks for pointing it out. Settings should help out for now though anyway

7. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

So this is the case on all cars?? wow, didn't know that...is that officialy confirmed somewhere?

8. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Wooww, good to know!! I'm excited to see how the cars handle after this gets fixed!

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Not sure where he gets this or how he knows that the front tires have a bigger contact patch than the rear. I can get the cars I drive to understeer like crazy. The FISI default setup now under steers like crazy so I'm thinking he is making this up.

10. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Ahh, yeah, the lack of a source has me a little suspicious. On that note, is there a known bugs list somewhere?

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Just the known issues readme in your rf2 root folder. Obviously there are more bugs than just that but it's the only list.

12. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Oh, huh, I would have expected some additional online source that would have a more comprehensive list...

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

All the information is in the forum. You're more than welcome to make a list. ;)

14. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

While the upcoming ISI content list doesn't take much dedication to keep up to date, one of all the bugs definitely would... I don't think I can handle it :p

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

That's why nobody has done it. hahaha.

16. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Tire Model
    ==========
    -Contact patch load distribution model is not final, which means tire pressure does not have the full effect that it should.
    -Aquaplaning is not implemented, so wet weather driving is only properly modelled when the track is damp but with no standing water.
    -There are other relatively minor loose ends.
    -Curbs, white lines have almost no grip in rain.

No, I'm not making this up. I've been working with motec for few days and many hours (main testing subject was c6r because it is the latest release so it should represent the newest implementations).

"I can get the cars I drive to understeer like crazy." Well. This sums it up. Also I don't think FISI should be considered as good source of info because I consider it to be one of the most flawed mods (unfinished in almost every way) in rF2.

In certain conditions almost every car understeers if you make it do so.

Right now (talking about c6r) the first thing to give up during cornering is the rear (The moment you try to make quick change of directions like Les Combes at Spa). That because front tyres have larger contact patch and therefore grip and that makes this car so unstable while turning or braking.

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Wanted to compare Nissan GTR to Crovette (fair comparison?). Liked GTR more (maybe found good setup right away but I doubt it). I had more confidence in turning GTR to corners. Also felt it better in long corners ( in the middle of the corner).

18. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yep. I like GTR too. Once you find good setup it is a monster. I find it only a little bit slower than Aura T5 (tested on Topeka). It's a killer on both straights (immense straightline speed and acceleration) and has huuuuge grip.

I've driven GTR but it was stock version and this is GT1. However this stock version felt like it was glued to the road. Acceleration, speed and cornerning was almost unbelivable. GT1 with some more downforce and racing tyres should be even more of rocketship than even stock version and in rF2 it feels like it. Maybe it is a little bit too fast around corners but like I said I didn't drive the GT1 version of it.

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

As Hermie did increasing the coast will help on entry with the vette.

Always keep in mind that this tire is far from finished and you're just going to have to be patient. I've had rF2 since day one and this last update was a nice one IMO.

20. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Same here. Day 1 owner here.

It would be nice to see tyres figured out 100% so we could focus on racing.