How to remove FFB clipping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphajerk, Dec 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. alphajerk

alphajerk Registered

Is there a setting in controller.json file that can help fix this?

I love the game and FFB but it is clipping on certain tracks. For example, the Eau Rouge turn in Spa or the first turn in Brands Hatch - regardless what car I'm driving, I always feel strong FFB clipping in those turns. I've been testing countless settings combinations, and here's what I found: if I dial down the FFB strength to 60%, the clipping is gone for most of the cars, but any FFB strength setting at 65% or beyond introduces clipping in turns like these.

Note that I'm not using any extra filters in my wheelbase settings, everything is vanilla clear, so no extra damping effects or anything. This means this is caused purely by the game signal. Also note that it does not matter what wheelbase I'm using, if the game's FFB is clipping at 65%+ for CSL DD 5nm, then it will also be clipping at 65%+ for Simucube 20nm.

I am using Moza R9 and I don't want to drive at 60% FFB strength, because what suits me best is 75-80% level. This is the level of FFB strength that I also use in AMS2 and there I don't have any clipping issues when I use the custom FFB file called "rFuktor".

So I think this is something that I could tune in rF2 too. There is probably a particular setting in the controller.json file that can help dial down the maximum peak FFB signal output strength, while keeping the overall FFB strength unchanged. Like when you're editing the histogram of a photograph, you can keep your Exposure setting relatively high, and then just recover the clipped "highlights" by turning the "highlights" dial down.

Disclaimer: I run 100% ffb gain in the wheel base settings, 100% overall gain in the game, and then 60-80% per car ffb.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Assuming FFB is linear (as default), avoiding clipping is just about reducing the FFB strength as you're doing. By itself for an across-the-game adjustment, and then you can adjust the vehicle specific multiplier for individual cars as necessary.

The 'max' steering torque that generates 100% output is somewhat arbitrary, set by the car maker, so adjusting cars isn't that unusual or strange, and is fairly unlikely to match what you're doing in other games.

Individual car geometries can create different, and sometimes strange (real or not) ratios between normal cornering forces and things like kerb strikes, so if you're aiming to completely avoid clipping you'll get varying levels of 'normal' forces between different cars.

Often people aim to reduce clipping to the point where normal driving situations have none, but certain other situations like hitting bumps or kerbs (and the middle of Eau Rouge might also apply) that don't really offer meaningful feedback are clipped, in order to maximise FFB forces overall.

(there is a controller.json (or wheel profile) entry, I think it's "Steering torque sensitivity" that can apply a curve to the FFB output. You can possibly sort of do what you want with that, but I think most prefer not to take that route as it will inherently flatten higher forces and make the fluctuations (ie actual feedback) harder to feel)

stonec likes this.
  3. alphajerk

alphajerk Registered

A user in Reddit helped me found it and it works! I set the value to 0.5 and clipping is gone!

"Steering torque extrap blend#":"Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)"

Herve_Versabeau likes this.
  4. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

interesting

coltair likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and settings like that are a step back towards traditional game FFB. But ultimately if it feels good to you, and gives you the information you need (which is what FFB is about), go for it :)

6. alphajerk

alphajerk Registered

I decreased the value to 0.2 and it still does the job. Regarding the overall quality and detail of the FFB, I don't feel a difference vs. the default value of 0.0.