How to properly convert tracks from rF1 to rF2?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by gkz, Jan 2, 2015.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

Hello,
    I'd like to learn how to properly convert tracks from rF1 to rF2. With correct mash and real road of course, so it takes advantage of all the great physics of rF2.
    I have no clue at all with this stuff but I'd really love to learn doing this.

So are there tutorials for people like me that would like to get into this without any prior experience/knowledge?
    I have no resources where and how to learn it properly and have to start from absolute zero so any advice,suggestions or references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and all the best

2. RJames

RJames Registered

Hi gkz,

This may sound counter-productive but the best way to understand a conversion is to understand the initial build process of how a track is made so when converting you know why your doing something specific.

Little readable documentation exists on the processes but Youtube is your friend in this situation. A great place to learn basics such as 3dsmax and tracks can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/results?q=rfactor+track+3ds+max

ISI provides a plugin to export out of max to GMT's (which the game requires) and there is some plugins for max to import rf1 content into max.

With regards to actual conversions there is 2 routes:

1. Import into 3dsmax, edit mesh's and maps (textures) to add functions like real road, wet track and animated marshals. Then using the ISI GMT Exporter export it out to rFactor 2 readable files.
    2. Using a tool like 3dsimed, import the track in, then simply export out to rf2 format. (I found adding real road and other changes using 3dsimed actually more laborious than 3dsmax).

To understand things like ISI's road technology it's worth checking out the Dev docs found at: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

It all really comes down to what you want to achieve, you mentioned taking advantage of rf2 features then my personal preference would be 3dsmax route everytime. Maybe a little more time invested in learning but those skills learn't will also pass over to car creation/converting down the line.

Regards

Rob

3. gkz

gkz Registered

thanks man, will take a look into that