How to name a dedicated server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by oHOWEo, Sep 20, 2014.

1. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Im hosting a server or at least think I am!
    I have forwarded the ports, I just want to keep it simple using included cars and tracks.
    I have found the server and joined it but the server name is "UNKNOWN" how do I call it something.
    I haven't had anyone join as of yet so not sure if I have set it up correctly.
    Also it asks me which mod file I want to use, these seem to be files I have auto downloaded when joining other servers, is there a "standard" mod file?

2. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Sussed it

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

http://legends-league.com/wiki/RFactor2
    look in the section
    Dedicated Server and Hosting

you can try also the prototype dedicated server UI (activate the checkbox under advanced settings in the launcher) because it is very simple to setup but in it's actual state it is a "prototype"
    in other words not finished.

4. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Thanks for the link, I read that before.
    Managed to make my vmod file and name the server. Still not had anyone join though so not sure if it's working

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

next time when you setup your server do a post here with the server name and a call for joining the server to get feedback if all work as expected :)

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Does everyone have to forward ports? I've never had to forward or open ports to play any online game or to host any online game in my life, but I keep hearing about it lately in the rF2 forums....Just literally go into the game, select a room, and join. Or just click the create online room button, set your rules settings, etc. and you're up and running....just plug and play...never had to mess with ports for anything Internet related in 15 years.....

7. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

For the dedicated server side in case of there is a router, firewall or any other device which makes NAT between private and public IP you have to forward two ports for rF2 server. Default the ports are 54297 udp for rF2 sim and 64297 tcp for the integrated http server for get mod or get component.
    The ports are defined in Multiplayer.jason
    On the client side you have only to take care that you are not blocked by a firewall but no forwarding is needed.

8. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

You around now?