How to know what key's to map?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anthony Manes, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Anthony Manes

Anthony Manes Registered

How would I know what cars require controls key-mapped like Engine Mapping, Boost, Kers or MGU, stuff like that?

I was giving the Orca 07 a go against a low-grade AI, and I noticed I was strangely slow against them, when I'm not with GTE or GT3 cars (or anything else for that matter).

So it made me think that I was possibly not activating or utilizing elements of the car's power unit, then realized I had no idea HOW I could tell if I was in a more complicated machine or not.

There's no tool tips or technical copy on the vehicles that appear in game, so someone like me who doesn't know enough about the cars in real life could be clueless to major aspects to driving certain cars in rf2.

Filip and Louis like this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Generally in the car garage setup screens, if a car has, for example, engine mapping it will be listed and adjustable.

3. Filip

Filip Registered

It would be useful for casuals like me to have some tooltips or some car info. I know some of it can be found in tuning menu sometimes but something more accessible and stylish for newcomers I hope to see in new UI. First impression matters whether we like it or not.

Louis, Emery, Anthony Manes and 2 others like this.
  4. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I do it by trial and error. I map a button, go on track, press the button and check the message window to see if that feature is activated for the car I'm driving. I agree that it would nice to have a sheet of car specs so you know what you can and can't do. For me to be competitive with the AI in the Oreca (which is my choice of car), I can't set the AI strength above about 88%.

Anthony Manes likes this.
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

Engine power doesn't really need active management in rF2, at least not until we get a hybrid engine model. Basically everything needed is found in the setup menu. Some of those setup elements can be adjusted on the fly, like brake bias, engine mixture, ARB, TC, ABS, but it's not a necessity and I'd argue it won't bring any lap time, at least unless you are an ace driver who may benefit from things like altering brake bias corner by corner like Schumacher used to do.

6. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I've driven rF2 for 5 years and still have no idea what some of these things do. What's Power Demand? What's Boost? /rhetorical questions

One thing I like in iRacing is that if you look at the control screen, the controls irrelevant to your car are greyed out.

7. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Yes i really like this implementation. Also that you can have car-specific controller profiles, which will automatically selected. This is great, if you switch your Wheel rim and Shifter, because you drive a different car.

Something similar would be great in rF2. Referring to the button mapping it's actually too much trial&error. For example .... i don't know if a car has in-car-adjustments for front/rear ARB, as long as i didn't tried it out.

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Judging by the complete absence of documentation the developers have no idea either. Or even whether they were someone’s “this would be a good feature" placeholder in the JSON file but never implemented. S397 didn’t give any details of new features (lock to horizon, dirt maps) in the latest build and the drips of information that did come out were wrong (until LTH was patched in the game to match what had been said). My Conspiracy Theorist view is that ISI and then S397 have always seen unearthing even basic information as part of the game. My Cynical view is that they are archetypal hackers who love writing code but never get around to writing documentation.

Emery likes this.
  9. Filip

Filip Registered

:D

10. bwana

bwana Registered

I always have same buttons assigned so simply going on track and hitting the button tells me if the feature is enabled . Leagues often either allow or disallow the use of , say ABS or TC etc and again simply sitting in the garage and hitting a key tells me if they are usable options . Offline l guess is where the OP is uncertain

11. Anthony Manes

Anthony Manes Registered

Tried this and I learned that the Orca does have 1 thru 4 engine boost options. Thanks for the tip!

12. Emery

Emery Registered

It's not necessary to adjust corner-by-corner, but I can certainly make gains adjusting brake bias and ARB as a heavy fuel load burns off over the course of an hour or two.

Louis likes this.
  13. Emery

Emery Registered

There are two fields that can be used for info, but they both seem to be nearly forgotten by developers. One is Technical Data in the tuning menu when you select a car (this was introduced with the G4/G6 Howstons as I recall) and the other is the Notes field in a setup.

bwana likes this.