How to get a proper dark night?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gorgias1976, Nov 1, 2014.

1. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Hi,
    Is there any in game setting that can help me get a propper dark night.

If I have HDR in automation I get a complete fake night where things aren't dark (See the road completely visible, even if I switch the car lights off)
    [​IMG]

If I set HDR to the other available option (don't remember the exact description) I get a darker night (while not yet dark enough) but the car's lights are completely wierd.
    [​IMG]

Is there a way to get a propper dark night? so dark that you can't see a thing there where the car's lights are not pointing?

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The lower scene IS completely dark--at least here on my properly calibrated monitor.

The upper scene is dark except where headlights have illuminated it.

If those pics are from your computer and do not look dark, then you need some serious adjustments to your monitor.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This. It's pitch black...

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The lower pic is pitch black except for those strange "oil effect" areas on the road. It's something with the HDR...some artifacts, and it has always been there. The effect disappears when HDR is off. Some people can see it and others can't. I have calibrated my monitor as good as possible (I think). I downloaded ICC profile from www.tftcentral.co.uk and altered the monitor settings that they recommended to that profile (brightness, colour, gamme etc.). When I look at monitor calibration pictures, my moniter seem to be properly calibrated. Well, now the "oil effect" isn't very noticable anymore but I can still see it in the darkest areas (and only in rf2, not in any other game, picture video etc.)

This one is from ZeosPantera. You should be able to discern the darkest squares/lines from the true black background. If you can't see difference between the lines and the background you need to adjust brightness/gamma. Regarding to this picture (and other similar pictures that I could find) my monitor is properly adjusted. It would be interesting to know if you guys that think the lower picture is "pitch black" can also see the difference between the black background and the darkest squares/lines in this picture?
    View attachment 14736 View attachment 14737
    Anyway, the "oil effect" is not caused by bad monitor calibration, it's caused by rf2 HDR.

Btw, the first picture doesn't look like night to me. But maybe it's because of the moonlight? Try overcast weather. To be honest I haven't tried night racing in rf2 in a long time.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

I too can see the purple/green (ish) "oil effect" in the bottom pic and in rf2 in various places...

Anywhere where it`s meant to be really dark I think like under car shadows, parts of tyres that in the shade, in cockpits/steering wheels etc... as I say, various places. I too have been told by rf2 staff that it`s not a HDR problem but a monitor calibration problem. Well, I too have a properly calibrated monitor that works perfectly well with other games and sims where I don`t see this purple/green oil effect at all. All the blacks and areas of shade etc look fine with all other games/sims it`s only in rf2 that I see this and as you say Hedlund, when HDR is turned off these strange graphical glitches disappear altogether so imo it has to be HDR related...

I also do a little photography and all of my photos and those of other, pro photographers I view on my monitor look as they should and have a nice balance between darks and lights etc. I`m open to calibrating again although I really don`t think it`s needed at all.

This does indeed seem to be a rf2/HDR problem as far as I`m concerned...

I`ve never really bothered that much with driving at night for these very reasons, the purple/green oil effect just spoils it too much.

6. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I have allways seen "oil effect" in rF2 nights. And I'm 100% I have a good monitor calibration. Maybe not 100% prefect because is not a 1000€ monitor but at least is really good for me. Not problems in any game, only in rF2 nights.

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Same here, there is the problem in cockpit too on day light, some black are velvet, there is an issue since long time on this part of the hdr light rendering.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I see no oil effect. It looks like authentic darkness to me. Just a few elements barely visible. The headlight shot also looks authentic in terms of what and how much you would expect headlights to illuminate. But I have a high-end monitor and it's calibrated and adjusted properly. I don't think it will be possible to create perfection or close on some equipment no matter how hard you try. However, the OP said it didn't look like night at all--that has to be able to be improved!

9. stonec

stonec Registered

This issue has been dealt with to no end. I have two IPS monitors, one is factory calibrated, neither of those monitors show the oil effect. Then I have two cheap TFT monitors, both show the oil effect. In both of the cheap monitors I was able to reduce it by calibrating gamma to proper value of 2.2. So to say it's not caused by bad monitor calibration at least to some extent is simply not true.

In non-IPS monitors there is also gamma shift depending on viewing angle, which does perhaps make it difficult to get right. But according to my experiences this is 100% issue of not using proper gamma.

10. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I calibrated like 1000 times my monitor just because of rF2, then I tested with some images for gamma and that stuff and was totally wrong. Later using test images I calibrated my monitor again, is not high quality, but is the best I can do. And I only see problems in rF2 when I calibrate with test images. I even tested other games to force oil patches, and I can see oil patches in other games but only when I actually use wrong calibration. With correct calibration only in rF2 I see these ugly patches,

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok... this is the way I see this problem...

I too have calibrated my monitor a few times because of this problem. It`s not a high end monitor and is a few years old now so fair enough.

But...

As I and quite a few others have now said, this problem does exist. I know not everybody sees these purple/green (ish) "oil patches" but they are there and I`m struggling to accept that this a monitor problem in all honesty.

Surely if it was simply down to bad monitor calibration these types of problems would show up in other areas and with other games/software etc and, for me anyway, they don`t. I never ever saw this or had this problem in rf... I don`t have this problem in any other game or sim I play/drive, only in rf2 does this bug show it`s ugly face and I also started getting it after a certain build. I can`t remember which build it first started to show up but I can show screens from earlier (much earlier now as I got rf2 at b85) builds that do not have this problem. Which makes me think it`s rf2/HDR related and not monitor related. Also, as I`ve said now dozens of times, if HDR is switched off these problems completely disappear...

I`ve seen this bug in other peoples screens and videos, people that have never mentioned it so maybe they just live with it or haven`t even really noticed it... I`ve also seen other peoples screens/vids that don`t show it at all so surely if it was just down to my monitor and not rf2 I`d see it on everyone`s screens and videos as it would be my monitor that causing the problem but I don`t, as I`ve said.

I`ve also noticed that some third party mods don`t seem to suffer from it or show it as much anyway as ISI`s content seems to which makes me think it`s something more ISI/rf2 related too...

To me it`s a problem with rf2/HDR. I may be wrong but I just find it very difficult to accept it`s purely a monitor problem on my end when as I`ve said, all the other games/sims I play/drive don`t show anything like this in any way. I also do some photography and am a member of photography forums where I`ve posted my shots and whether people like them or not, not one person has ever said anything about my shots regarding the monitor being badly calibrated and I`ve read others say this about some other peoples shots in the past...

Imho, rf2`s HDR needs some serious tweeking... I know I`ve said this before only to be told that it`s fine and it must be my monitor but as I`ve said, I struggle to accept this.

12. Some1

Some1 Registered

+1

Also, I posted the same issue in this thread some time ago.

What's more interesting, is that the oily patches even show up in the screenshots. If you increase the brightness in Photoshop, you can better see the oily patches. Those that do not see the oily patches with their calibrated monitors, could try this.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, I`ve done this too to better show up what I`m seeing and it definitely shows up the problem much better...

I even showed those altered screens to the devs but still was told it was my monitor and calibration that was at fault.

Pity...

14. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The strange thing in the OP's pic is why is there light on the road? It's like the headlights are on, but on a dimmer switch turned almost all the way down.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Calibration is one symptom of the problem, it is not the fault itself. My point was just that with proper calibration or IPS monitor this symptom doesn't exist, therefore it doesn't concern me much. HDR applies some sort of color transform to image, probably something with this is buggy when image is predominantly black.

Then again, with the rate ISI fixes things to their graphics engine (bearing in mind SLI + triple screen + HDR performance is still same state as it was day one), I wouldn't put hopes high on it getting fixed.

16. coops

coops Banned

I have to agree it would be nice if they listened and fixed these issues or told us why they are not getting done and when maybe they will be worked on to be finished. Or do an update or build with things that the consumer would like to see finished.

17. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Have been reporting that issue for ages, still no response, no fix either.

It's HDR issue.

I even did couple of changes to my settings and I managed to remove these oily patches and artifacts (not completely though) by setting my monitor up to the point it was almost impossible to see anything at all. I had to go so low on brightness, contrast etc.

Then I did couple of calibrations and thanks to them now I can say that my monitor is calibrated as good as you can get without using professional equipment. Guess what... rF2 looks horrible at night with my monitor set up right. Lots of oily patches, lots of colourful artifacts (mostly purple-green).

18. McFlex

McFlex Registered

That is why i don't like HDR at night but if you turn it off the night is illuminated like it is day! Pretty annoying!!!

This helped a little bit.

Btw. Did you reload the track after you changed the HDR profile? Usually the effect on your second screenshot happens if you don't do. That is just another bug i don't understand :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  19. stonec

stonec Registered

Automation has basically replaced HDR profiles, I don't think ISI supports usage of profiles much.

Did you calibrate gamma? You can also calibrate gamma in software (usually from GPU driver) if monitor doesn't support gamma changes. Although I'm not sure if software calibrated gamma holds effect in fullscreen apps or just desktop mode.

20. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yup. Done this. Done that.