How to create new drivers, new classes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by lightbulbsun, Mar 18, 2018.

1. lightbulbsun

lightbulbsun Registered

I'm incredibly lost in rFactor 2, and frankly... getting very angry with it.

In rFactor 1, I took the CART Factor mod, created a bunch of skins for it, and it was so simple to create and edit .veh files, talent files, .dds files... everything was plug and play, so simple.

In rFactor 2, I have no idea. What seemed to be working as a process all of a sudden isn't. And it never did for a different mod.

So here's what worked for a limited time, in creating drivers. This has since stopped working.

1) Go into the game, select the car type wanted for the new driver. Go into tuning, click "CREATE DIR".

2) Leave the game

3) Find created folder in userdata>player>settings>modname>createdfolder

4) paste desired .dds into created folder. Rename file "alt.dds"

5) Go back into game, repeat step 1, only instead of clicking "CREATE DIR", select the alt livery from VARIANTS and then click CREATE where a prompt appears to create a new driver.

6) Fill out new driver info, and the car appears on the list.

That worked three times for the CART Factor mod, but suddenly it has stopped working. Absolutely inexplicably. So not only is this a backwards system, but it's not even something that works half the time?

And that didn't explain how to create a new class for cars either.

Also... I've kind of poked around in the MAS utility thing, but any time I tried to change anything in there, it would fail to load the mod in-game after that. And don't tell me I did something that would break it. I'm pretty darn experienced with rFactor 1's file systems, and this uses pretty much the same systems, just hides it away in a gigantic .mas for no good reason.

I know, I'm half venting, that's not productive and doesn't really make people want to help me. It's just so frustrating right now. "Here's a good system that allowed people to mod our game to the top of the sim racing charts! In its sequel, let's be sure to screw that all up!"

Someone please help, I just want to create a CART 2018 series to compliment my previous CART 2014 series:

Something like that, that's what I want.

Thanks!

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry that i have to ask, but did you ever read and learn something about the rfactor 2 filesystem?
    You say
    But that is not correct, it only seems to be the same system.
    And yes, if you have edited the content of a mas file of an existing mod and replaced the old with the new mas file, you have broken the mod.
    Simply look into the folder where the mas files are.
    You will find a mft file there.
    Open it with a texteditor and you will see that it contains some entries that list the mas files that belong to the mod.
    And you see a long hash code behind the name of the mas file.
    If you modify the content of a mas file and pack a new one, it gets another hash code and the mod is broken.
    You have to repack the whole mod to get it working properly.
    I would suggest to search the forum for what you want to do.
    There are many threads where you'll find answers.

And here is a video that can help you too.