How to change kph to mph

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Nagy, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

I'm sure this is yet another dumb question, and the answer is staring me in the face, but I'm not seeing where to change the in-car display of speed from kph to mph. The new GUI is much easier to use than the old one, so I'm surprised I'm not finding such a basic display setting. Thanks.

2. Corti

Corti Registered

UI.jpg

pkelly, Bill Worrel and redapg like this.
  3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

You can also change units from metric to imperial right below.

But there are 2 existing bugs - it doesn't change the air and track temperature display from Celsius to Fahrenheit and if you change units after you load a track, some of the settings in the setup menu will still display the wrong measurement system.

4. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Try editing the player.json

upload_2022-11-12_18-26-23.png

Corti likes this.
  5. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks - Now where is that face-palm emoji? It couldn't have been staring me in the face any more directly.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    atomed likes this.
  6. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Now that I'm able to view my speed in mph, it's confirmed something I've suspected - the sim car appears to be less powerful than the real Radical SR1's I race. Where I can hit 128+ mph at the end of the longest straight at Atlanta Motorsports Park in the real car, I can barely hit 118 mph in the sim version of the same car. And I've noticed I've had to downshift in some turns in the sim car where I can stay in a higher gear in the real car. So, I would like to add a few horsepower to my sim car to better match the responses of the sim car to the real car, to hopefully provide a more realistic training experience. I have no plans to do sim racing; I'm just doing this for practice between real races. I found the page where the car is listed, but I'm not seeing where I can edit the horsepower. Again, I'm sure it's right under my nose. Thanks.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

No that stuff is hidden or protected so common folk can't go poking around and mess things up so you didn't miss anything. For cars that do not have copy protection, you have to use the moddev option to open mas files and then edit the torque curve of the engine to produce more power. It was fantastically easy in rF1 or GTR2, but the rF2 engine file is 10x more complex.
    Maybe somebody here can make the changes for you...but I'm not optimistic.
    Remember too, top speed is often more dependent upon corner exit as max horsepower. The sim tires may not allow you to launch as you do with the real car.

8. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Pantographic terrain.
    As Dave says protected content cannot be manipulated.

In case you have access to the vehicle you want to practice with, and the content is accessible, you need to have knowledge of how each parameter in each physics file affects the behavior of the vehicle.

It is not as easy as changing a parameter in a file. I think it takes two engineering degrees and a master's degree to get it right.

Curiosity:
    When you say "...for practice between real races..." do you imply that you race in that category in real life?.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Andrew Nagy IIRC you had someone provide the rF2 car for your use, and likely modifying an existing car to do so. It would be most straightforward for them to modify and repackage it. Someone else could do the same, but the process is beyond your IT capabilities.

If it's basically a DLC car the modification itself need not be that difficult, providing overall engine power and/or aero drag adjustment will cover it. Same packaging process required.

10. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks for the inputs. I worked with a coach to set up the car, so I will contact him about adding a bit more horsepower to the engine. It isn't just the maximum speed that's off - I can tell in other parts of the track that the sim car doesn't accelerate quite as strongly as the real car. Otherwise, its responses are remarkably similar to the actual car.

@Brutten: Yes, I drive Radical SR1's in a real-life race series. It's an arrive-and-drive series at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville, Georgia, in which most of the drivers rent SR1's from the company that runs the series (a great outfit called Primal Racing). There are a few drivers who are members of the track who drive their own cars in the series. I love it because there's no need to own, store, transport, and maintain my own race car. The downside is that for people who live out of state like me, there isn't any opportunity to practice between races, which are once a month. I've found that time spent in my personal track car (a track-prepped Porsche 968) doesn't translate well to the Radicals, because the responses of the cars are so drastically different. So I plan to sell the 968, and hopefully buy my own Radical to use at a local track to practice between races, but even used Radicals are very expensive, so I'm relying on the sim as my primary source of between-race practice. Initially, I didn't find the sim to be all that helpful, but over time, I've found that if I focus my time on the sim on specific areas where I've found through analysis of my data to be weak, I can translate improvements in these areas from the sim to the real cars.

pkelly and Corti like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lol A Radical is expensive but a Porsche 968 isn't? Ah what a world... I always enjoy hearing about your progression, so keep coming back from time to time, even when you don't have a question.

Corti likes this.
  12. Brutten

Brutten Registered

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A simple torque/power (don't ask!) adjustment in the HDV will suffice, if power is identified as the issue.

I would say a combination of power, downforce, and drag adjustments will be good enough. The hard part is actually working out what's wrong, and by how much.

14. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Well, a pristine street 968 with low miles might fetch a reasonable price, like maybe something in the $30K range, but mine is a track rat that I built just for me to have fun at track days, so it doesn't adhere to any specific race class rules, which I think will make it very challenging to sell, but we'll see. It goes on Bring a Trailer in a couple of weeks.

FYI, here's a video of me during qualifying in the Radical, doing my best time so far:

I was making lots of mistakes (not using the whole track, not consistently allowing the engine to rev to the ideal 9500 rpm before shifting), so I have several seconds of potential improvement left. As you can see, I'm hitting about 128 mph at the fastest part of the track, despite shifting into 6th way too early, whereas as I said, I'm about 10 mph slower in the sim car, and it really does feel slower. Despite that, I did a 1:22.8 the other night, which is over two seconds faster than in the (faster) real car, which tells me I'm driving "with abandon" on the sim because there's no fear of nasty consequences if I spin or crash, where I'm much more cautious in the real car, which is costing me time

Here's a video of me driving the 968 at a local track:

As you can see, compared to the frenetic Radical, the 968 is a Buick Roadmaster. Even though it's a VERY capable production-based track car, its dynamics just can't compare to a purpose-built race car like the Radical, which is why time spent in the 968 is not only not helpful, I think it may actually be counter-productive, which is why I'm selling it.

pkelly likes this.
  15. pkelly

pkelly Registered

@Andrew Nagy - Thanks for sharing your interesting track day videos with us:)

16. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

I hope people here find my exploits interesting, since I come from a different background (zero gaming or IT background, no real interest in sim racing, but lots of track time in real cars, and experience building my own track car), with different goals (primarily honing skills between real races), than most people here. It's interesting that I'm fastest in the (slower) sim car, followed by race qualifying, and slowest in the actual races, which exactly correlates with the consequences of a spin. I'm not afraid of getting hurt, but am keenly aware that a spin in a race ruins the race, and might do serious damage to my bank account. Being fast is a combination of executing best practices of technique, and overcoming the "fear factor". Maybe I need to resort to something like this for the latter o_O:

davehenrie likes this.