How to change AI-car-configurations?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by dersirromet, Jul 14, 2014.

1. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

Simple question:

When I race against the Indycars with AIs, on any other track than the Indy road course, the cars use the Indy500-spec. How can I change this?

Greetings

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

First off, I owe apologies to the original author of this post, don't even remember which thread it was in. But this is what I copied from that post;

"OK, let's use Barber as an example. This is what I did.

Create a file named VehicleConfig.ini using Notepad. Add the lines
    "Indycar":
    UpgradeSetting=(6,0,0,0)
    Model=3

Model=3 to change the track to a road course config.
    Model=1 for an ovalconfig,
    Model=2 for short oval.

Don't add anything else to the .ini for now.

I took the installed track files and put them in their own folder to work with.
    C:\Users\Guy Moulton\Desktop\rF2 projects\Indytrackpack\Barber\BIRMINGHAM 2014\1.0
    this directory is where I put the .mas file to work with.
    Use the MAS2.exe (MAS tool) to open the .mas file. For our track, the one you want is BIRMINGHAM.mas in different tracks
    obviously this will be different- use the .mas with the name of the layout you want to change.
    There is a .GDB in other .mas files, add the VehicleConfig.ini to all the layouts you want to change. Save the BIRMINGHAM.mas

-Use the MAS2 tool to Create Single Cmp Package. Hit the box with the open lid icon on the tool bar.

-Next to <add New Component> box, give the track a name. Barber_Indy

-Next to File hit the file cabinet icon and navigate to where you want the .rfcmp to be and give it a name.

In the File name: field, put your name, hit open.
    I know, it makes no sense. You are opening a file you are creating

-in the drop down box, choose Type: Location

-In the MAS Files box add all the MAS files from the directory you created (including of course the .MAS you changed and added
    the .ini to)

-Hit Package. Don't install yet.

Poznan Just replace the original two .MAS files with those from the 1.01 update when you create a new component, and ofcourse
    the .ini file must be placed in those 1.01 update files.

-Uninstall the original Barber track. I'm not sure how to do this and change the name of the track, so if you have both
    installed, the game gets the names mixed up. Now install your Barber_Indy track. "

I was able to change mid ohio, Poznan and a couple of others using this. Maybe original author will find it and maybe add more explanation.

3. dersirromet

dersirromet Registered

Thank you very very much, the Indycars are now running at Mills Metropark! :)

(And if you havent tested Indy+Mills - It'S awesome!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Never thought about doing it to that track, thanks for the Idea!

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Really great post Jim. Explains it perfectly.

But I really hope ISI looks at this. Shouldn't there just be a check box in the tuning screen to have AI use the same configuration? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like such a simple, overlooked feature.

Thanks again Jim for the detailed info.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Completely agree with you. It's nice that there's a temporary solution (nice find!) but it way too complicated to go through, for me at least.
    I hope ISI will have a look at it soon.

7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

To the best of my knowledge, right now it has to be configured in the track files. I would think you would have to allow core to be able to manipulate the track file. I don't think that is ever going to happen.

My best thought on the subject is that track modders do not consider that setting very often. It seems that if a track isn't an oval it should be set to "roadcourse". That would cover almost everything.

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's what I don't get. Why would it be tied to the track file? I can choose whatever setup I want independent of the track. I can run oval setup on a road course and vice versa. Why would the AI be any different?

9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

AFAIK it seems future builds will allow you to affect AI setup right in the Setup screen. I'm testing the Build 789 in the unstable thread and this seems to be already the case. I don't know if it's 100% finalized, in any case, when selecting a setup, you have a sentence saying "No driver selected in grid" if you select nobody. Selecting your car or another car get rid of this sentence, so AFAIK it mean you can change setup of each AI cars if you want. At least this is what I understood, could have wrong...

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

@Jim

Take the Howston for example. There are different models you can select in the tuning screen. Those same models are available to choose in the AI selection screen.

ISI could do the same for the IndyCars (and any other) the exact same way? It's all done independent of the track selected? Track creators should not be responsible for this imo (unless I'm missing something :) )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  11. MJP

MJP Registered

The problem's in the IndyCars, I assume it is just an oversight on ISIs part and will be changed with the update. Yes as you see you can workaround it on a per track basis as in rF1 but it needs fixing in the 'car' component.

Bit like the black mirror issue in the 60's car way back, it's another relatively easy fix. The challenge is getting it to sit alongside the existing content, a challenge that eluded me back then for the 60's cars and eludes me now for the IndyCars. Short of getting people to uninstall the official versions and download a 'fixed' version instead (containing 99.9% content you already had) which isn't really feasible then or now. Let's hope ISI don't take as long as they did fixing the 60's cars as the workaround for them was alot neater than for these IndyCars.

12. hallenstein

hallenstein Registered

Many thanks for this "tutorial" (btw the original comes from "guybo" and "Marco S", so thanks to them as well)
    was also able to make the f1rft2013 "wear" the yellow soft tyres as a default
    cheers :)

13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

C:\Users\Guy Moulton\Desktop\rF2 projects\Indytrackpack\Barber\BIRMINGHAM 2014\1.0

this line was a bit of a giveaway as to who wrote this very helpful (but too tech for me to do).
    Man I should be a detective;)

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Ha, this whole thread was for future detectives (its really not that techie, just print it out and follow on. Probably hardest part is finding the Mas tool.) You might find a new hobby.