How to calculate slip angle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexNordic, Feb 25, 2018.

1. AlexNordic

AlexNordic Registered

HI all, I got rFactor 2 a few weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. It has forced me to pay a lot more attention to my driving skills and realise how shit driver I am :D

I started reading Ross Bentley's Speed secrets and it mentions how important is to keep an slip angle when cornering that maintains maximum traction. I have the suspicion that I don't make my tires work hard enough on corners (I tend to have cold tires), maybe because I don't carry enough speed or accelerate too late, thus losing precious seconds on every corner.

So I thought oh well maybe Motec can give that information, but it doesn't seem to come out of the box. I've found this post (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tire-analysis-with-motec-i2.325922/) but it's from a different sim so I'm not use if using the same formula works here:

SlipRatio = (Wheel Speed - Vehicle Speed) / abs(Vehicle Speed)

(It gets more complicated further down the post)

Using this formula I got a flat line, almost constant -0.15 or so. I don't know whether that confirms my suspicions or the formula is just wrong.

Anybody has any experience getting that data on rF2?

2. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Check the expression on this post.

AlexNordic likes this.
  3. AlexNordic

AlexNordic Registered

Thanks!
    I'm surprised a forum search didn't return that post, I wonder whether it's because I was not registered yet.