How to add a car to the historic mod?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Ryno917, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Alright, so, I made a new skin for the Eve F2 car. Now, I want to add this as a new team. Partly so I can have my own number, and partly because I want the wheels to be a different colour.

Here's a run down of what I've changed:

- New DDS for the body (the skin itself) - MS7_1.DDS
    - New DDS for the wheels (both texture and spec image) - MS7RIM_512GREY.DDS
    - New wheel Rim GMT files (all RIM files copied and had "_1" added after the "MS7" to be uniquely named, hex edited to have the new DDS rim texture name)
    - New VEH and Icon files (MS7_1.VEH)
    - New GEN files to reflect the changed wheel GMT files

...Now what do I do? I honestly have no idea where to go from here. How do I package these files? Do I need to pull ALL of the textures from the main Eve mas files and make one new MAS for my new team? How do I reference this as an update to the original mod? I'm so lost.

... All I wanted to do was add a new Eve F2 team and change the wheel colours...

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Okay, so forget the wheel colour. I have the .VEH, .DDS and the icon DDS files. How do I get those into the sim as a new team for EVE F2?

I can't find anything in the documentation about this. This should be dead simple.

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ryno...I think you will find the actual "teams components" are not fully implemented yet. I believe its just a case of replacing the files in existing teams ATM.

This is documented somewhere, but I havnt looked into it until they incorporate that component fully.

There may be more up to date info than what I have provided.

Do a search for the topic....I know its there somewhere.

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

So is it not possible to just package up the MAS, VEH, and menu ICONS for a new 'team' and add them into the Historic mod as a component?

Balls. :(

5. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

I do not know how to add a car to a race series because as soon as you change the.mas file, you will break the digital signature and you cannot play online.

You can however, get your car in game and race the other historic cars in All cars and tracks mode if you want.

An example :

MAKE SURE that you call your skin something other than a current ISI Skin. You will also need your icon and sml icon.

ie/ Skin = MS7_33.dds, VEH File = MS7_33.veh, MS7_33ICON.dds and MS7_33SMICON.dds

You can then COPY, that's COPY the "EVE.mas, EVE_F2TEAMS.mas and EVE_main.mas" files to a folder on your desktop.

Rename the files you just copied to your desktop: ie/

Ryno917EVE.mas, Ryno917EVE_F2TEAMS.mas and Ryno917EVE_MAIN.mas

Open the Ryno917EVE_F2TEAMS.mas file, click "select all" and delete everything in the .mas file.

Select the MS7_33.dds, MS7,_33.veh, MS7_33ICON and MS7_33SMICON.dds files and drag them into the empty .mas file.

Click the yellow create the mas file button. Quit the gMotor2 MAS file utility program.

Reopen the gMotor2 MAS file utility program, click on the "C" icon ( Create the component file ). A window pops up, hit the txt logo next to <add new component>, type a name for your car, doesn't matter what Now got to TYPE : and choose "Vehicle"

Then click the locker logo on the Submit Mas files box.
    Choose the 3 renamed .mas files in the folder on your destop. Click Package button. it will say something like " file doesn't exist, do you want to create it? " Click yes ( i had to do this twice ), Your file will be created.

Take the file you have created, place it in your packages folder, start rfactor2, click "manage mods", Go to "Options" untick show mods only. You will see your file in the list, right click it Choose install. go into game, got to all cars and tracks, your car should be there.

I'm sure there must be a simpler way to do it, but this worked for me without breaking any online functionality.

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Perfect, thanks so much 4L0M.

I tried just inserting them into the original MAS files, but this caused the game to no longer load. I don't really care about online functionality as I don't tend to play online.

If I modify other files in those MAS files (like I mentioned, the grey wheels instead of the default ones) will it work if I drop them into my new MAS files as well? Do I have to had hex-edited GMT files (with new names) linking to a wheel texture with a new name?

Thanks for the help!

7. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Sorry for DP, but I've given the above a shot (with modifying some other files, and GMT hex edits). All was well in the spinner, but the game is hanging on loading the track. I'm getting an 'Error finding stats for MS7_Seat.DDS for MS7_Seat Material' error. Where should I be looking for a typo here? I don't believe I have an MS7_Seat entry in any GMT files anymore, but if I had missed one during my hex editing, would that bring up this error?

Thanks all :)

[EDIT] A-ha! Cracked it! It was a reference in the MS7_COLL.GMT file. After fixing that, and cleaning up a couple other little mistakes, it all works beautifully. Now to finish the other textures (new Seat, steering wheel, dash, driver, helmet... I might do new goggles, too, with the tape...)

I also want to set up another MS7 with different wheels and do some more paints on there, to get a more diverse F2 field. Guess I'll do a few Sparks while I'm at it...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012