How this tiresmoke is achieved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jtbo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There is game called Driver San Francisco and I just saw video from that game, then I got envy about tiresmoke in that game, 0:17 in this video:

So is that just animation or does that game has some code so that smoke understands what is car's body and tire and what it would take to have rF2 have similar effect?

I mean, when doing burnouts in rF2, smoke is not quite respecting limits of car's body, there are no that wheel well cloud of smoke etc, don't know how much it is currently possible to adjust by modder (afaik there is not much one can do about it but change colour and density of smoke by different texture?), but I doubt it is not going to be even near of that no matter what modder does currently, can be of course there are plans of changing that but we of course don't know that yet.

However I'm interested if such is simple trick that Driver game uses or if there is some known methods to implement such in game engines?

2. Should definitely be implemented in rF2! :cool:

3. osella

osella Registered

Wow +10
    From what I remember no sim has made tyre smooke look as good as this so far.

4. Jordan Meagher

Jordan Meagher Registered

yea it looks wicked

5. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Gorgeous!

6. Some1

Some1 Registered

GTAIV had something similar. How come that some arcade racing/driving games have quite good smoke simulation, but real racing simulators have old-style arcadish smoke? :)

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think that in sims smoke is attempt of simulating smoke with very limited resources, very little cpu usage etc, while in arcade games it is perhaps done with some predefined animation kind of thing?

Of course that number 400 has something to do with it, yes, 400 programmers, is that around 20 times more than ISI has staff?
    http://blog.powerblocktv.com/?p=2049

8. osella

osella Registered

Well smoke is just graphical thing so thats exactly the same as asking why arcade games look better in general.
    (although not always they look that great, often they have stupid, almost comic looks)

9. Maug

Maug Registered

Have you tried that in the plr?
    Tire Emitter Flow="0" // Whether tire smoke/dust flow over emitting vehicle

Else if you look at tdf files(track file) you will see there's a few smoke settings. Try playing with it.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, that makes tire smoke appear from nothing at mid air over the vehicle, more or less.

Smoke is not aware of carbody, also it does not follow tire like in reality, I'm not sure if it does those things in Driver game either, perhaps it is just a neat trick, but it does look something I like, not necessarily possible to get unless there is some relatively simple method in directx to make meshes to be 'seen' by smoke.

11. osella

osella Registered

I'm sure it is possible but at the same time I'm 95% sure ISI won't bother, as it really only matters in replays, while driving you wouldn't notice it much even from opponents cars.

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

On the other hand recorded videos at youtube do improve sales and there is also drifting where it certainly is noticeable, also in open wheelers front wheel after locking up brings smoke up. I think that water needs code anyway to work properly, it is perhaps not too different from smoke?

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In open wheelers its the smoke "sticking" to the tire that would do it for me, on every rotation after a flat spot you'd see smoke coming from that spot and gradually fading away after each rotation. That would'nt just be cool in slow-mo replays but in real time you'd notice it as well.

I played around with those Flow settings in the PLR in the previous build, whilst the idea is there its certainly in a basic form at the moment, only time it looked liked working properly was when a train of cars went through smoke it looked pretty cool lifting over all the cars, lots of work in that area though for sure.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

That is a cracking idea for sure MarcG... I`d like to see that too. :)

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that and cockpits getting filled up with tire/engine smoke!

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And the smoke in current build is incredibly thick. Sometimes on T1 of the first lap I can see nothing through the smoke.

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

But smoke is rather thick, of course it should build up more gradually, but it can be so thick you don't see your arm in smoke.

18. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Nice tiresmoke Mafia2

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

+1

20. Jos

Jos Registered

The tire squeal is also better in arcade games apperantly...