How many cars/ai maximum?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andii, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Andii

Andii Registered

Hey, I'm not sure if this question already got asked, but I want to know it anyway..
    How many cars will be ready to drive on the track? rFactor1 were 104, rfactor2 even more?..
    my thoughts were going to vln/24h Nürburgring or something like that..
    In my opinion 30 cars are far to few :p

I hope someone could help me :cool:

regards, Andii

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

My computer is struggling with 10 AI cars already, CPU is barely able to run physics for all of them. I'm thinking that you would need more computing power than it is possible to get over 100 cars in rF2?

3. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

intresting question. there is some server online, which has 104 possible places. So if this wouldn't be the maximum possible number, this would be a very random number to set your server to.
    But i would love to see more possible cars too. Not necesarily for AI, because your PC would have to simulate all their driving. But i would like to see a bigger possible number on servers for exactly those races (vln / 24h).

4. Andii

Andii Registered

Hm.. my PC is not that bad.. (i5 4x4 ghz, gtx 670 2gb, 8 gb ram) and I can run rf1 with 104 cars on max settings, project cars with 64 cars aswell. So rFactor 2 with 30cars is no problem for me, I think 50-70 cars would run well..

Also I figured out that the maximum of visible cars is 104, like in rf1, so I think we will never be able to get more on the track..

5. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I am reminded of that one time I was hosting Monaco and 60s F2. I was hosting the server on my desktop that I was also racing on. Suddenly, everything went dark and quiet and I had to wait for the CPU to get back under 100c before I could turn the PC back on.

6. MJP

MJP Registered

103 opponents seems to be the most allowed to set in the menu. Just tried 80 skippys at LRP, just within my CPU limit although it's only running at 2.4GHz atm. It's a case of is your pc up to it lol.

7. Andii

Andii Registered

MJP, how did you get 80?
    I can only use 29 :/

8. MJP

MJP Registered

Offline you're limited by the value in the RFM files which for most MODS seems to be set at 29 so I guess you'll need to make a vMOD to get more.

9. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Have you seen, how they manage to get out of the pits?
    There surely aren't enough pit-start-places at LRP for 80 cars!? I would expect that to be a big mess :p

10. MJP

MJP Registered

I only tried a quick straight to race, (formation lap start) it was funny watching them line up on the grid at end of the formation lap. The cars at the rear seemed to want grid slots further up the track so chaos ensued with cars randomly launching themselves skywards and my pc dropped out of realtime and I ended up manually closing the game lol.

11. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

The most I have tried was 25(all cars visable) with the 60's cars at spa and had no problems.

12. osella

osella Registered

Need to think about future though, rF2 is going to be with us for a loooooong time. If it has similar lifespan as rF1 people will play it until at least 2020 (wow what a number isn't it).

When rF1 came nobody had the computer to run 60+ cars either, and look, since 2007/2008 people who wanted to simulate actual VLN Nordschleife race were/are sad that it only supports 104 cars because the real event has 200+ (up to 250 IIRC) cars in it. I know my computer would handle 150-200 cars in rf1 for sure. At least 8GB RAM would be necessary for sure but who cares about memory today, 16GB costs nothing even today and what about future years...

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

32bit OS gives some limitations to memory for sure.

But think about length of start grid with 100 cars, at short track you can see last ones ahead of you at start :D

There is also big difference between cars, Skippy is heavy car for physics, I have found out that GTR is not very heavy for CPU, I can have twice the GTR cars compared to Skippy and I can't see much of difference between them in terms of AI.

Then Volvo is very heavy in terms of physics and I have not figured out what it is different between cars that causes that.

But also tracks are different, LRP 2nd turn is very heavy for physics thread compared to many other tracks, Malaysia is very easy for physics, whatever reason there is.

I could take 16GB of DDR2 that does not cost anything anytime though :D

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

But since rfactor2 is a 32bit application it can only use max. 4GB (2GB only if the Large-Address-Aware-Flag is not set by rfactor2, don't know if it is set).

15. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i have made a post about this here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9278-Multi-Class-different-Starting-Groups
    What would be possible are Online Races with the starting procedure i describe in that thread.
    On an Online race the shown cars would need much less resources than the AI.
    Furthermore, you have the setting to only show x number of cars. But on an VLN event on the nordschleife you only would see maximum 80 cars at once anyway. So i think for Online this could be made possible. And it would be damn awesome!

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I remember reading that it is set.

18. MJP

MJP Registered

[​IMG]

19. osella

osella Registered

Maybe 4GB for rF2 itself would be enough, as far as I know rf2 doesn't eat that much more ram on most tracks, neither does pCars btw, often around 1GB only.
    But yeah currently the CPU/GPU is issue, current top hardware would barely be enough for 104 cars on a huge track but as I said, let's wait a few years and it will be easy.

20. Tolik

Tolik Registered

View attachment 5341