How long would it take to create a 5 km track?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Elwood Blues, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Elwood Blues

Elwood Blues Registered

So...
    I am a 3d modeler at an architectural visualisation company.
    my boss has recently given me a task to evaluate creating a full 3D track for a sim game.
    So I went into research mode and (3,5 days later...) managed to get a working road model in Rfactor 2 Dev Mode.
    However, judging by that, creating a full track would probably cost me many months of work, as the learning curve is quite steep (plugins, tutorials, scripts, game engine etc.).
    So my question is - how long would it take for an experienced modder to create a ~5 km track on uneven terrain, with all the surrounding infrastructure, several buildings and greenery?
    This may be a strange question, but I feel that I should spend another 2-3 weeks modelling the track to really answer that question, and that is not an option in my workplace. I do not need a very precise answer, I'd like to know if it's more like 4 weeks or rather 4 months.
    Regards!

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

4 months for one guy to create a track of decent detail level must be considered FAST!

3. Elwood Blues

Elwood Blues Registered

Thank you for the reply. So it is worse than I feared ;). But I do know now that there are hundreds of details all over the track that must be individually taken care of and properly tested so that makes sense.
    Just to make sure - we are talking about full time work (8-9 h a day) and still 4 months would be fast? That would be about 600 work hours? So a realistic estimate would be closer to 1000h?