How do I start the car after driving off track?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by halono, Nov 19, 2015.

1. halono

halono Registered

Sometimes the car is just dead. I have bound the start car key but that only seem to turn off and on the dashboard.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Is auto clutch on or off? You may need to hold the clutch while pushing the ignition key (there's a starter key applicable to certain cars).

3. halono

halono Registered

autoclutch is off. ok i will test it.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Start and ignition are different things.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just press the start button. If you press the ignition button then you need to re-press it. Think of it as a 2-way switch. If it's in one position, then the start button won't do anything, if it's in the other position then the start button will work. Or vice-versa, I always forget which one is the "power" switch and witch one literally fires the car up. But ya, one is the switch and one fires the engine.

As Guimengo pointed out, if your car is not in neutral then make sure you hold down the clutch or else the car will just stall again after it finishes starting.

There are a few cars which don't have starters on board from what I remember. The majority do though.

If you use auto-clutch then just about every car, if not every car, will be impossible to stall but auto-clutch also has the possible affect of changing auto-blip and auto-lift so leaving auto-clutch on may not always be to your preference.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

It's why I never bother to map the ignition key. I can't see any actual reason to turn the ignition off in the first place haha. Just map the starter and you're good to go, provided it has a starter, as mentioned.

7. kmw

kmw Registered

Just to clarify - Open wheel cars have no starter, if you stall outside the pits, you are out.
    In other cars, you need to map both ignition and starter keys.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

You don't need to map the ignition key as far as I'm concerned.
    It is automatically turned on at the start of your driving and the ignition system is live, and won't shut off by itself. So short of you getting confused and clicking it on and off, the starter should always fire it back up. Just map the starter, and done.

9. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

You can also bump start

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I agree. Mapping a control to switch the car off is just inviting disaster, and it's not a nice feeling when you do it... in the middle of the grid... in a league race... just as the lights go out... I've only done it the once though :eek:

Just map the starter, and if you're in an open wheeler or other car with auto-clutch and you want to 'switch it off' for a long pitstop or similar, leave it in gear and toggle the auto-clutch off to kill the engine. Then start it again when you're done.

Indeed. And if you're still rolling after accidentally turning the car off on the formation lap, but you need to be quick about it if you're rolling uphill towards a tight chicane. Jeez I've had some issues in league races...