How detailed can you mod, I'm confused

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Blinky1004, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Blinky1004

Blinky1004 Registered

So I see tons of videos on youtube about different cars that were built. So my question is, lets say I see a build of a Honda civic. I download it. Now can I custom tune it the way I want it? Can I add a turbo to a build that doesn't have a turbo? Can I adjust the boost and waste gate, custom blow off valve? How about ignition timing and fuel curves? I'm wanting to dive into this game so bad but I feel it is kinda like "race this car the way it is with everyone using the same car with different tire config," can I jump into a race with a Toyota supra custom tuned as I mentioned above, and take on someone in a Ferrari or a Porsche? I see some videos online of people that have a build they made and they are comparing differences in turbo lag or whatever. But do you have the ability to adjust something like that? Also how popular is rfactor online compared to 2. I feel I should just skip 1 and jump right into two because I would imagine everyone went to 2. And you would find nobody online in rf1. Please help, I want to be a part of this community, but ill get very bored if you can't tune different aspects like I said above. Thank you for all your help.

2. Radar

Radar Registered

Simple answer is no. It's not an arcade game, it's a simulator. You can't add what you want when you want or race against anyone you want (without going into the how you can combine multiple mods).

As I said, this game is a simulation, so unless someone builds a mod specifically for rFactor 2 that will allow what you want, then it's can't be done by just a simple click, click, and race.

3. Blinky1004

Blinky1004 Registered

Ok, I understand its not just point and click tuning, but who is capable of making a mod. Do u have to be part of the developer team or can u download tools to aid in it. Who makes these cars that I see on YouTube? U should checkout on YouTube "rfactor Nissan gtr 1000 hp " man that's a nasty car whoever made that. I guess this game is another game that won't interest me. Ill wait until they come out with a more customizable game where you can build whatever you want with all licensed parts and kits. There was a neat game in the mid 1990s called nira intense import racing, horrible graphics but you could go as far as camshaft lobe lift, timing and boost or supercharger options and if you did something wrong, either the car would t run or it would blow up. Put those options in a game like rfactor 2 and you would have more skilled players involved who have automotive experience who know how to calculate engine displacement bore and stroke

4. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

If you want something bad enough, you can build it yourself. It is possible to make a mod that supports the upgrades that you mentioned (I hope you have access to engineering data). The journey is long.

Engine tuning is a novel concept, but unfortunately the numbers you use to build the engine are only limited by the modder's dedication to realism.

I'd advise you to go download a mod for rfactor, and examine the files used to make it. You'll see that much of the physics are text based files. Much of what you'll learn about the files for rfactor will apply to rfactor 2.

Think of rf2 as rfactor matured with some things beautifully flushed out.