How can I create a skin pack for an existing mod

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by FatalMistake465, Jul 11, 2016.

1. FatalMistake465

FatalMistake465 Registered

Hi Guys

I'm currently working on a set of skins that cover this year's Formula V8 3.5 Championship. What I would like to do is set everything up in such a way, so that you can download my "mini-mod" and essentially install it alongside ISI's current 2014 Formula Renault 3.5 car. By that I mean that my mod would essentially refer the game to the ISI content when it goes looking for the 3D models, sounds, and physics, among other things.

Perhaps another way of describing it is the .rfcmp package that I would make available would only have a 'teams' MAS file, so all would be getting from me is 15 .veh and 15 .dds files.

In the future I would like to be able to do a set of skins using URD's EGT and PX mods, but for obvious reasdons need to be able to release just the skins, vehicle files and nothing else.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Most simple and easy way without repacking the whole mod: Create addon AI cars.
    You can add one or more AI's without repacking the whole mod.

It's a skinpack with .rcd file instead of .veh file and .mas files per car containing the .dds skin files.
    So it's bassicly the same as a Teams.mas,
    The .rcd file also contains AI talents... So you can give each AI some special properies.
    Tuning the AI talents and creating the AI's is done with your basic rF2 install ingame.

A big advantage is: If the car gets an update from the original creator you don't have to repack your "mini-mod".

I don't recommend to manually edit the .rcd files.

more info: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-skinning-tutorial.105993/

To get you started:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016