hosting track/car combinations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

I want to host a race, a 1960's EVE F1 at Malaysia, how do I do this?

From what I can tell, only certain car/track combinations are allowed to be hosted, I can only host/drive 1960's cars around Belgium or Monte Carlo.

Similarly, there are other track/car combinations that limit my choice.

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think you need a vmod... there's some in mods section under "other".

3. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

4. argo0

argo0 Registered

But, does the Get Mod feature work if you simply make a vmod and host it?

5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If you set it up right it works. A lot was written already about what must be done for the get mod feature to work, see here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6892-Getting-the-Get-Mod-feature-to-work-on-my-servers

Basically - in multiplayer.ini:

HTTP Server Port="64297" // range is 1025 - 65535. Used for file sharing (needs to be open if behind router)
    HTTP Server Enabled="1" // Whether the dedicated server starts a HTTP server
    HTTP Server Max File Size="100" // Maximum file size, in MB, that the HTTP server will provide
    HTTP Server Document Root="Packages" // Document root for HTTP server. This path is relative to path stored in data.path. data.path located in root install path

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Hey, Craig. Lemme know if you are looking for more drivers. I'm always looking for F1 races. I only race Spark, though.

7. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks Abriel
    But hosting a game requires a decent upload rate doesn't it? If 2 or 3 people click 'Get Mod' at similar times, doesn't that impact on the gameplay in the hosted game by using too much of my upload rate?

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I'm so sick of this vmod thing... I just want to host a LAN race with formula 2 at any other track than the only possible (palm beach). I don't have time or desire to learn to create the vmods, I just want to be able to use any car with any track. Like in single player. Why can't it be a "all cars and tracks" option in multiplayer as well? I found IsR vmod collection but it includes their own skins and that's not what I want.

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Not if u use vmod.

10. argo0

argo0 Registered

Also, what is an HTTP Server? I just want to host and race on my PC, with a Vmod I created and have it available with 'Get Mod' feature. Is this possible? Whats the difference between a HTTP server and a Dedicated server? Do I need anything other than one PC with RF2 installed?

11. argo0

argo0 Registered

Oh, thanks Kknorpp. I think I understand that. A vmod is just a sort of list isn't it, so wouldn't be a large file.

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

HTTP server is only how you transfer files when somebody clicks the Get Mod feature. You just set those settings in the multiplayer.ini and you don't have to worry about it anymore.
    Vmod are usually around 1Mb in size. You need upload for hosting that's for sure (depending on your upload you might only host a few players).

13. argo0

argo0 Registered

Right, I think I understand the hosting and 'Get mod' feature.

But, when creating a vmod, how do you know which components to use. Obviously I understand I need to specify which cars and tracks, but what about the rest of the components in the list like the sounds and showroom and talent. Some of the sound components I found self explanatory, but not all of them. Is there an explanation somewhere of what all these are? If so I've missed it!

Also, in the tutorial video, the tutor tells us that if we want to include all the components as part of the vmod download, we simply need to tick the boxes. So why isn't everyone ticking the boxes so players can get the tracks they need from the 'Get Mod' feature?

Hope I'm making sense

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yes making perfect sense. I only include cars and tracks in my vmods. A vmod will be created if you don't put a check next to any of the mods. This means player will have to have the mods installed and get them on their own. The vmod which is just the list will be downloaded but only after the user obtains all the necessary cars are tracks.

If you tick the boxes then players will get both vmod and actual mods but will have to wait to download them so it is easier to do mod instead and have them get necessary mods they need.

ATM, Abriels torrent is easiest way to make sure you have everything.

15. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If you are creating a vmod you are only filtering cars and tracks. You don't need any other components (so no sounds, no showroom, no talent, etc).

If you tick the boxes that makes it a mod, no longer a vmod, size gets bigger with everything you tick. And as you previously said you don't have that much upload rate...it wouldn't be very cool (not for you neither for the downloaders) if you would need to upload for example 1 Gb mod to everyone that wanted to join. Not to mention that you probably already have all the tracks (or most of them) so why would you want to download them again? You wouldn't. That is why people don't tick boxes if the selected content is already available.

16. argo0

argo0 Registered

Right, thats been really helpful, thanks Kknorpp and Abriel.

My bandwidth according to Speedtest.net is - Ping 10 ms Download 9.46 Mbps Upload 1.02 Mbps

Is this sufficient to host 10-15 players? I saw some info on this somewhere but I was wondering about peoples real experiences with hosting.

17. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

18. argo0

argo0 Registered