Hosting paid content - again... (SteamCMD download and install)

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by MileSeven, Jun 30, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I'm struggling to download and install paid for content to test a low-spec server we are trialling...

Firstly, if I try to download a vehicle anonymously, it seems to work but shows up in the mod manager with the pre-update version number (e.g. 3.58 for the McLaren 650S whereas there is a 3.59 update file there too) - and when I try to install 3.58 I just get an 'error opening MAS file' popup and it dies...

If I try to download a track, I don't even get that far - after waiting a while (Steam CMD reporting 'Downloading item xyz...'), SteamCMD cr*ps out with a timeout on the download and reports (in yellow!) "CworkThreadPool::~CWorkthreadPool: work complete queue not empty, 1 items discarded" - and nothing appears in the SteamCMD content folder...

I can successfully download and install free workshop content and hoped/expected it would work the same way now that ServerUnlock.bin has gone away...

Where am I going wrong? Couldn't find anything in the main sticky which seems to have dissolved into a general 'how to get rf2 dedi working with anything' topic anyway...

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Copy your serverunlock.bin from your game’s userdata folder and put it in the server’s userdata folder, then when you start the server’s mod manager you should see at the top the words “keys loaded”. Then you should be able to install the lower numbered version, followed by which it should show an update available, then update. The 2nd error you’re getting with the yellow text, I’ve had that a couple of times, waiting a few minutes and trying cured the problem for me.

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks - I thought (mistakenly?) that the server unlock.bin rigmarole had been removed when the ‘race against content you don’t own’ changes came in?

I did Google further on the yellow SteamCMD errors and found reference to a long-standing issue with files > 1GB. Fortunately, I have a workaround on this server as it is in my local network.

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

The having to generate the unlock file on the server, transferring it to SP game and copying back the serverunlock file went out the door with the ‘race against content you don’t own’, now we just have to copy the unlock file from the game from time to time, ie mainly when new paid content comes out.

5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Ah, ok, thanks - hadn’t been paying close enough attention! I’ll try it now.