Hosting a server using new Packages

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Danneskjold184, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Danneskjold184

Danneskjold184 Registered

Hi!

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want to create a simple package that incorporates the base Oval Tracks with the Steam Workshop Oval Tracks so that I can host a Stock Car server that people can join and race with. But when they try to join (they have all the content downloaded), they get a "Package not Available" error.

1.) I can host a base content server flawlessly. Everyone can join it and race. I do it through the rFactor 2 launcher, with all of my ports opened up.

2.) I assume I'm creating the package correctly. It works for myself in single player.

3.) I think I've set the server to download the packages, assuming that it would auto-download this several KB small file rather easily for everyone. But no download seems to take place. Do I have to upload this small package file to the Steam Workshop?

What am I doing wrong?

As a further note, I'm looking to do the same thing for the Indy Ovals. Assuming I get all those problems fixed, I'd like to have the Indy Dallara DW-12 load up with the correct Oval Configuration. I've figured out how to get people to load it up themselves, but I want to default the correct one for everyone joining. How do I do this?

Thanks! -Dan

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Did you make a vmod? It sounds like in single player your using all tracks and mods.
    If your visitors have all the cars and tracks all they need is the vmod which will download off the server if set right.

3. Danneskjold184

Yes, I created a mod using the .MAS file opener. It shows up both in singleplayer, and in multiplayer using the car set and track set I defined. The problem, like I said, is that people can't auto-download this simple package file from me when joining. But perhaps I've set it up incorrectly. Where exactly do I change it so that it downloads off the server I host on my computer?

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

In the rFactor2/userdata/player/multiplayer.json file look for this line
    Code:
        "Enable Autodownloads"
    and make sure it's set to "True"

T.Hartmann likes this.
  5. Danneskjold184

Yup, I had that set correctly. Still gets the "Package not Available" error for other people joining the server.

Is this a bug with the current version? If so, how can I avoid it? By creating a Steam Workshop item with these few small files?

6. Danneskjold184

I'm joining some other servers and downloading their package files. I can see them in the new list. So obviously I'm doing something wrong...

Looking at some of the tutorials, they mention that I have to register the mod. Where do I do this in the new files? Is it necessary?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. TPG

TPG Registered

Do you have any spaces in the name of the .rfmod? if so replace them with a dash ( - ) or underscore ( _ ) . exp: LMP2_LeMans.rfmod

"mod registration" happens when you package/create the .rfmod, it gives it a unique ID, as long as you have it in the right place (Packages folder) the game should be able to find and distribute it.

8. Danneskjold184

Ok, I created a new package file, and took out all the spaces in the RFMOD file. Still same thing.

I tested the server by loading up a package *I* downloaded from another server (so I assume it's a good package file) and successfully joined, but I still get the same error when people try to join. "Package not available." Is it a port forwarding issue? I've done my ports exactly as described in the guides, as well as making sure they match the HTTP and Simulation values in the multiplayer.json file.

Base content servers still work.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Are you leaving the rfmod file in the original package folder of the server?

10. Danneskjold184

I'm not moving any of the files around after I create the package, then hit the install button.

Shot in the dark, but the current set up where I live (I didn't set it up) has the modem connected to a router, connected to another router which is then linked to my computer. I've opened up the ports on the first router, but it doesn't let me open up anything on the second router. Even though I can host a base content server, is this causing me problems?

11. PeteG

PeteG Registered

It may help to install the mod manually with the ModManager. (another shot in the dark lol)

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

13. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

or "TPCview" see all ports

14. Danneskjold184

Ok, working with a friend, we have figured out some stuff and we have come to a new plateau. Basically, I can create a new package file, and people can access and download this package file. However, they NEED to have every single track / car already downloaded to get onto the server, else they get a "Package not available" error.

I.E. I can create a server with all the extra oval tracks, and everyone can join, as long as they have each and every one of the extra oval tracks. It does NOT allow them to download anything from me. And if anyone is missing a single track, even if they have the track it's currently on, it bounces them out of the room with "Package not available."

I assumed that when someone tried to access a server with Steam Workshop Content that it would auto-download from Steam if they did not have it. Past that, I would still like them to be able to (occasionally) download it from the server. With this problem happening across MANY servers, is it a bug in the game? Or am I still doing something wrong?

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

16. tappi

tappi Registered

Hey @Danneskjold184,
    "they NEED to have every single track / car already downloaded to get onto the server,". Im having only one track and Gt3 cars on my server and people get Package not available although we can join a public(from which i used the package file) server with the exact same track car combo.
    After the affected clients joined the public server, they can join mine.

Allow autodownloads is set to true and ports are properly forwarded.

Packages exist in the same installation as the dedicated executable.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

17. tappi

tappi Registered

Thanks for the hint regarding the files Mangoletsi. There was a newer version of the rfmod that was inside an external packages folder.

18. ChalkyWIS

ChalkyWIS Registered

If you are using a dedicated server (steamcmd) install then I find that the MAS2 tool doesn't put the created rfcmp file into the correct folder. Therefore like Mangoletsi says, check that it is copied into the packages folder.

19. tappi

tappi Registered

ChalkyWIS likes this.