SOLVED Horrible stutter with build 342

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Miguel Azera, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Miguel Azera

Miguel Azera Registered

I apologize if this has been posted before but as I described in the title of this thread i'm getting allot of stutter every time I take a corner with this new build. Just did a few laps at Mores and its unbearable, I know its not an FPS problem because when I take the first corner I have 69 FPS and it dips to around 65 FPS coming out of the corner so I assume its something else. I have been with rFactor since buil 180s to present and never had any problems with the way the game behaved, I used to have the graphical settings in game set to max and running the antialiasing and FXAA from the Nvidia control panel as described in another post from this forum with great results. I have turned down shadows, antialiasing and other things that suck FPS and it still stutters, the only thing that makes it better is setting the effects to off but there are so many variables in game and in the nvidia control that I'm still not sure which parameter has the correct effect. Thanks in advance for anyone that might have a solution for my problem, I really like rFactor but for now its undriveable.

This is my setup:
    i7 CPU 900 2.79 GHz
    6GB RAM at 1600 MHz
    EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB
    Windows 7
    Fanatec CRS Wheel and CSR Elite pedals (forgot these =)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hi Miguel,

What wheel do you have? If it is certain wheels, you may need to skip ffb updates so that the driver of the wheel doesn't kill performance.

Also, we do adjust our settings a bit (annoying though that is), if you haven't run rF2 for a while, or run Mores or Silverstone, you may need to run lower settings now.

Thanks,

Tim

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Not sure if this apply's for you but i had noticed some pausing and stutter in almost the same way ,through the turns and such with good fps, For me this was not normal .. after hrs of trying different gpx settings with no luck I decided to look elsewhere ,I ran a Anti-malware program and found 2 little bots that probably came from all the places i have been trying to download all the 3rd party tracks in the last few weeks ! (i only use this PC for rf2 and all that goes along with playing online) lots of free download hosts come along with a free spybot !! lol anyway after cleaning the 2 pest's out = no more pausing/stutter ! smooth again ! so iv'e come to know its not always the game .. Hope this helps ..as i said might not apply to your probs but i thought i would post my experience !

4. Miguel Azera

Miguel Azera Registered

Hi Tim, thank you for replying so quickly!
    I'm using a Fanatec CSR wheel with 144 drivers and was running rFactor regularly with no problems what so ever, the ffb and the car feels fine the stuttering seems graphical in nature but should I re-install the wheel drivers ore update rFactor in a different way than just using the rFactor launcher?

Thanks again =)

5. 88mphTim

That wheel should be fine. Stuttering is an unusual thing though. I'd firstly suggest rebuilding shaders then instead.

6. Miguel Azera

Miguel Azera Registered

Thanks! will try that =)

7. Miguel Azera

Miguel Azera Registered

hehe pardon my ignorance Tim but have no clue how to rebild shaders.

8. 88mphTim

I'm sorry. Delete everything in C:\Users\Tim Wheatley\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\Log\Shaders

9. Miguel Azera

Miguel Azera Registered

Thanks Tim that got it!!!! First time load got rid of almost all the stutter, loaded rfactor again after diner and the stutter was gone, now actually feels smother than the build before! Did a few laps of Tourist Ring 0.97e and just feels better can´t explain it, was driving faster and more confident them before probably getting more FPS.

Thanks again to Tim and Rob(no malwere but my PC thanks you) for the help =)

P.S. My setting are:
    rFactor: everithing max, Shadows Medium blur off, Reflections Low, Movies Crowd off.
    Nvidia: Filtering 16x quality, FXAA on 8x CSAA 4x supersample, Vsync on.

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Is this advisable for all of us to do sometimes Tim?
    (I know; if it ain't broken, don't fix it, but sometimes I get the feeling it could go just a tat smoother, or just for "maintanance")

11. 88mphTim

The only effect would be that your track loading times would be slow as hell more often (it builds them on first running).

12. 88mphTim

Nice. Phew. :)

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Really? (Not good in this stuff, tell you that)
    I asked because it helped Miguel; maybe more could benefit, but that's not the case (in this case:) )

14. 88mphTim

They SHOULD be getting rebuilt automatically when they need to. I let them know obviously that sometimes it doesn't seem to happen.

What I mean that it would be slow, is that the first time you run the sim after deleting them, it rebuilds them, and while doing that the loading is slower.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the explanation Tim, learned something!