Historics AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daynyc, Dec 11, 2014.

1. daynyc

daynyc Registered

With the latest build improvements, Tim Wheatley's historic lineup and the addition of the great Matra, rF2 is, in my opinion, approaching the status of a worthy successor to GPL. (Of course, as many others have opined, several more historic tracks such as Rouen, Mosport and Silverstone would be heaven.)
    BUT, since I first started playing rF2 (long ago), I have been urging improvement in the AI. I still find them, generally, OK on straights but too slow in corners. Can ISI please improve this or can some of you experts suggest some AI tweaks I should make?

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd probably just look at experimenting with the AI skill level. I've found they don't get any faster in a straight line, but their cornering ability seems to go up and they get quicker overall laptimes. Mess with the aggression setting if they are too timid when you come charging through XD

Someone may know of some behind the scenes tweaks though. Either that or the track AI stuff needs to be tweaked with.

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I was having problems with auto line smooth = 3 and the default used to be 1 i think but then I reset my plr file and found that default was now zero and worked well so not sure when that change was made but for the longest time I was having trouble with AI exceeding track limits even with ISI only content and auto line smooth = zero fixed that and may help you also if it is set to something different. Also I always set AI limiter = zero otherwise AI at front will slow down to maintain close racing which is retarded.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

For anything to be a " worthy successor of GPL " must have all tracks and cars from 1965-1969, not " several more " :)

RSC, SRMZ, GPLRank, GEM, CCM, GPLPS, IGOR all these things made GPL.

GPL was the dedication that brought Targa Florio and hopefully, one day Isle of Man Full Road to us all, both unheard of in sim history.

Montages of just 1969 Season " No, Low and High Wings"

rF2 has a ways to go yet ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  5. jjcook

jjcook Registered

agree with that ...what we have here is a glimpse of what could be in terms of content......if you only count content and not the physics its no successor yet, not that i would want to drive a gpl brab over a rf2 brab at this point- the gpl modding community cannot be matched here for historics from what i have seen so far and i find the content very limited at this point with no full season of anything from 65 to 69 - my expectations were much higher when i first signed on for life and saw the initial potential of the first 2 cars .....still....nothing to drive better out there for historics

6. daynyc

daynyc Registered

Thank you for the AI suggestions so far. I also agree with the observations on GPL. I played it extensively from the time it was introduced until a couple of years ago. Of course it would be great to have all the mods and tracks available in GPL. Let's say that rF2 seems to be the sim that currently has the POTENTIAL to be a worthy successor to GPL. Since I have to play off-line most of the time, the AI is important to me and I feel there is significant room for improvement. If more people enjoy playing with the historic cars and tracks available, the interest in modding will grow and more cars and tracks will hopefully follow.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

> Since I have to play off-line most of the time, the AI is important to me and I feel there is significant room for improvement.

Then you would want to know that you can create AI lines for each driver, if you're really into having good AI.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

My hope is that Sergio can work on and polish his tracks up to mix in with the ISI stuff. More historic tracks for the old cars to run on is all fine with me compared to what we have now.

9. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

1. Player file make sure AI limiter is set to 0.00 so they don't do the rubber band thing ... this makes such a huge difference its crazy.
    2. Adjust AI skill level until they are doing overall lap times that you can achieve on a good day (if you know what I mean)
    3. Adjust AI aggression until they make moves on you but don't blatantly run you off the road
    4. If you find certain corners etc that the AI are having issues with, start learning to get tracks into dev mode so you can re-do the fastest path (if AI are slow on a particular corner I usually find that the fastest path line is tighter than it needs to be, or is running wide onto curbs that are upsetting them etc)
    5. Not always necessary, but you can force AI to use certain setups. This mainly helps for fast circuits like Monza ... AI default setups will have too much wing so they won't be getting the correct top speeds etc

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Great tips. :)

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Set ai practice so they faster then you want......... in race they will be slower.