SOLVED Help with new terrain shader - Vertex Colors - assignments reset to black

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Nibiru, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have been doing some testing with the new terrain shader. I have followed the PDF and used this video as a guide as well

I gave all my terrain pieces a separate vis group and attached them all to make one object as described in the PDF. I have painted and can export the 1 large terrain object and all looks fine.
    My problem is when I try and separate the vis groups back to smaller objects I lose the paint.

If I collapse the stack I still see the paint. But when I select all the polys so I can separate the vis group I lose the paint.
    If I leave vertex paint in the stack and select editable poly I lose the paint.

Can someone please help and let me know what am I doing wrong or if I'm missing a step?

Solution

Big thanks to Luc for his help. The problem was with 3ds max. I only had default 2010 3ds max where this is an issue. I needed to install service pack 1 and hotfix 2010 - 2009.09.22 and the issue is gone.

for more info check
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...Vertex-Colors-assignments-reset-to-black.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Pretty sure you're not losing the vertex colour/alpha; it's probably just not visible. After detaching the smoothing groups, select all those objects, right click, properties, check if vert colour channel is displayed (lower left corner of the properties window).

3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks for the reply Luc

I have set the vertex colour chnl in properties. I do lose the vertex colour it all goes black again. When I export the objects and check them I have no blending. I only see chnl 1 texture.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  4. Luc Van Camp

Looks like it's not collapsing properly ...
    Before you separate the object, right click the object, Convert To, Editable Poly.

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have 2 pc's and 2 different projects I have been testing and I get the same thing. Just tried convert to editable poly but didn't help. It must be something I'm doing wrong.

Do I have to select all polys to separate the smoothing groups? Cause thats when I get the loss of paint. Is there another way to separate the smoothing groups?

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Are you selecting polys with a vertex paint modifier on top of that, or are you collapsing the VP and then selecting and detaching?

In theory this sequence, applied to a single mesh, should NOT produce any issue:

1) Assign Vis per Element/Piece etc.
    2) Vertex Paint
    3) Collapse Vertex Paint to Editable Poly
    4) Recall Vis and Detach

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I collapse the vertex paint to editable poly. Once I select the polys paint goes back to black.

8. Luc Van Camp

Please PM me a link to a 2010 format maxfile containing the uncollapsed terrain piece, and a collapsed clone. I want to take a look at this myself, if you don't mind :) .

9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I'm away from the PC atm for about 12 hours. When I get back I'll send PM Luc...I'm using 2010.

So you want uncollapsed max file

and a collapsed max file?

10. Luc Van Camp

Yes, please, so I can compare the objects and hopefully figure out what's wrong ...

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks Luc. When I get back I'll send it

12. Radar

Radar Registered

Try importing your model into a new scene, see if this error still comes across.

I had this once, took me a while to figure it out, in the end I ended up importing my model into a new scene and re-textured.

It does seem like you are missing a step however, will be interesting what step you missed after Luc has looked into it, happy to look also if need be.

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks Radar. I gave that a try but didn't work for me. Luc has tried my files and doesn't seem to have a problem with them, so it is either something I'm doing wrong (more likely) or something wrong with my max install.

14. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

15. Luc Van Camp

Happy to see this mystery solved :) !