Help no rFactor.credentials file and can't create one

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by samuelw, Sep 8, 2013.

1. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Ever since the server change I have been unable to log in. I replaced the temporary launcher per instructions and subsequently replaced it again with 298 and 300. While I am still able to play offline, online is greyed out as well as the update tab. I even tried a second install on my computer with no success. When i try to log in I either get "no account exists with these credentials" or "error: invalid login." I did get a new password yesterday but it doesn't change the responses in attempting to log in. I am also unable to reactivate as I'm not logged in.

I think Tim said to delete rFactor.credentials in AppData\Roaming\rfactor but all I can find now in that location are rFactor.name and rFactor.OKAY. I tried removing these files with no success in logging in and the loss of the ability for offline use. I do note that these files are located in locked read only folders (win7 does stuff without my knowledge).

Any ideas on how I can log in? Neither the old password nor yesterday's new password works. (I can't say I have read every post in these forums but my searches haven't revealed anything exactly the same)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sam

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Your .rFactor folder shouldn't be locked and readonly even with UAC enabled. You didn't by any chance mark rFactor.credentials as hidden and readonly in an attempt to fix the old launcher did you. It is possible the file is actually there but hidden and you have your view settings set to not show hidden files and rF is unable to write the file because it is also marked as readonly.

3. samuelw

samuelw Registered

I checked show hidden files in folder options. Its been awhile but I think I deleted it when I replaced with the temporary launcher. I do believe whatever is there is read only as AppData is persistently read only despite my efforts. Is the read only status of AppData, Roaming, and rFactor the reason rFactor cannot create a new rFactor.credentials file. I have tried using the cmd attrib commands without knowing what I'm doing and without success.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have no clue why you AppData folder would be read only. It is normally hidden but not readonly. If it really is readonly I would expect you to have problems with more than just rFactor.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net