Help; I'm not understanding lodin/lodout.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I've been doing a side-project for my girls, making a car I drive into a road version so they can have some fun driving a city and learn a bit ;)

Anyway; the car has no mirrors as they are blocked by some stuff from the outside body.
    As I always understood; lodin means the distance in meters where you start to see the object and lodout is when you don't see it no more.

I thought I was smart; the outside body I gave a lodin of 1 meter: "Lodin (1.0)" and in the car, you wouldn't see the outside stuff while outside, the car has to come very close to get the body unseen, right?

Wrongggg! Inside the car, it worked like a charm but outside, the body is gone all the time. The first camera stand is about 30 meters away and the body is not there.
    Okay, made the lodout 0.5; outside body is now seen IN the cockpit and not outside from the 30 meters distance.....

Now; is there something strange going on or am I just not getting this lod stuff?
    If the latter; could someone enlighten me a bit please? :)

Thanks in advance!

Edit,
    Forgot to tell; I converted this mod from rF1.
    As it looks now, some parts of the outer- and inner body, are exactly at the some spot and cause flickering.
    I tried to move one, than the other, just a few centimeters but that didn't work; they just didn't move. I did that with 3dsimed and "translate" on the y-axis.
    If I could do that, move I mean, my problems would be solved it seems to me.....

Anyone? Please? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Parts of the car in the top of the gen are rendered above everything else(maybe not correct, but seems like that's what happens). You can try to remove your car body from that, make a new instance, have the car body in it twice, I don't know if that will work, you might have to make two car bodys with different names. One would have the lod for the cockpit, and another for the cameras. I don't think you can get it perfect, but it could be better than what you have right now. And remove the body from the cockpit instance, that's probably what you see clipping, it's not used anymore so you won't be missing it anyway.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi Couti,

I get your drift. It is a lot to take in for me, but I know where to go.
    It may take some trial and error, but not afraid of that.

Thanks mate!

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Tires in the road; how to fix?

Hi guys,

I am converting a few cars as I downloaded the "Street car challenge" mod for rF1.
    There is a w124 E500 in there and as I drive a W124, I thought it would be fun.
    The physics in there are absolutely awesome! So I tried some more cars; a Lincoln Continental for instance.
    Also this one is a lot of fun; you get seasick driving it and it "feels" amazingly real.

Anyway; as with some more mods after conversion, the tire size is just not okay. Sometimes the car hoovers, sometimes the wheels sink into the ground. As a "quick fix", I always turn to the "size multiplier" in the tgm file.
    This time, I had to make it bigger and that went okay up to a certain point.
    So, the car stays like this, whatever tire I take, whatever the multiplier is:

[​IMG]

I never encountered this particular effect and have no idea what to do now?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Are the values in the TBC right too (width and radius)? Because if it's AI driving, they use the TBC instead of TGM.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry, tried to make a seperate topic but messed up. This doesnt belong here but okay.

Yes, I did change the tcb too. This is me driving though.

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Did you test on another track, to see if it's not track related?

8. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Did you ever get an answer to the question posed in the original post (RE:LOD issues)? It helps others when you post the answer, and perhaps how you found the answer.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ MaD_King,

I did not think of that, no. I tried but it was the same. Just now I found out that the cars I converted, I gave all the tires the same names but they had different heights..... They were different mods, but still they must have taken the wrong wheels. I named them all different (MB-Tires for the E500, Lincoln_Tires for the Linc and so on) and now its okay......

@ Lordpantsington,

Sadly I have not..... I'm still trying things out with the help of Coutie's suggestion, but not getting there yet.
    If I ever find out; I will post here.

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi navigator, do you have some video showing the converted cars and track.

I like the " classic cars in the city" idea I think you are trying to achieve.

It kind of reminds me to Chicago's 30ies.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hehe, I will make a small vid tonight but don't get your hopes up; it will be made with a mobile phone.......

12. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Some things to check/try:

Which Instance are you changing the body mesh? Possible you changed it in the Cockpit, but not the SLOT<ID>.

FWIW detail level alters which LOD mesh is drawn, Test on Max so that no LOD gets filtered.

If you don't have all LOD meshes modeled yet, just change the LODOUT value to something absurdly high (1000m or so) such that it is always drawing no matter the distance from camera.

Map keys to zoom in/out such that you can use the free look camera and see if your body pops in at some point.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry for not having a movie yet guys, I couldn't get to it properly and in the little time I had, it didn't come out okay.

Today is my daughters birthday and tomorrow were going on holiday, so it has to wait a week, bit I wil get the movie here!

@ Lordpantsington,

Thanks for the advice; I can't wait to play around with it, but have to do that after holidays too.