help for stuttering (issue exists before and after build 770)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Tom Kelley, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Tom Kelley

Tom Kelley Registered

I have a team mate with stuttering issues that he needs to solve. For him he believes the new build has made stuttering worse. any ideas what to do?

system:
    Windows 7 Ultimate service pack 1
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5CPU 750@ 2.67GHz 2.66 GHz
    Ram 4.00GB (3.50GB used)
    32 bit
    Graphic card Sapphire Hd 7770
    250 gb hard drive (70 gb free)

build 770 and 660 issue.

2. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I came to the forum to report stuttering, this was the first post I saw.

I am pushing well over 100fps at all times according to the fps display but I'm getting stuttering as well. The first time I noticed it was with this new build and it seems to be most common when going past the pits.

3. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I just tried turning of anti-aliasing. According to the fps counter, it never dropped below 130fps and yet there is noticeable stutter as you go past the pit at Silverstone. I also saw this at Montreal kart track. I'm 100% sure this is a new issue with this build. I noticed it on the first lap after installing the new build.

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Have you tried without using any type of synch? Its in settings/Video res page

5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

same for me hi fps but a stutter effect since 770 ..

not good !

haven't even seen any type of stutter for over a year .. no vsync here 120 fps looks like 20's

6. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

No sync for me either.

I know everyone always thinks their problem is the most important to fix and while this stutter isn't exactly huge, it hugely detracts from my enjoyment. I'm going to have to try to downgrade to the previous build because I can't use 770 like this.

7. Gupster

Gupster Registered

In your player file set the maximum frame rate to your monitors max refresh rate. That has helped some other people with the stutter.

8. whitewolfmusic

whitewolfmusic Registered

For me, it seems to be performance issues with the mirrors, I will post another thread about that - just wanted to mention you should try turning them off.

9. Cammo

Cammo Registered

Don't know if it helps, but after I installed 770 I needed to delete my user data, then things were so much smoother. Plus using the 64bit version makes a difference, would highly recommend your mate change to a 64bit OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. regged

regged Registered

This!

Without setting the max refresh rate (set to 60) the FPS display indicated I was getting 80-100 FPS but it felt more like 30-40 with weird micro stuttering.

I also use "Sync" set to "Video" in the "Configure Sim" settings, this results in super smooth 60fps with no tearing and from what i can tell, no FFB lag. I also use FXAA and HDR.

Core i5
    Nvidia GTX670
    3 x 1280x1024 monitors with a Matrox TH2GO Digital. (3840x1024)
    Logitech G27

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Turn off all forms of sync and then open player.json and set "Max Framerate" to 60. I guarantee your stutters will go away. I've used "Max Framerate" for as long as I have been running rF1 and now rF2. I've been through several machines, several GPUs, ect ect. It consistently gives me the best results. After all these years of people using this setting you would think it would be included in the UI by now.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

13. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I've always used max framerate and turning off recording of replays did not help.

Just to be clear, this issue started with build 770.

14. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Just to confirm this, I have now gone back to the previous build and there are no stutter issues so this is definitely a new issue in 770.

15. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

What is the purple line doing when you press ctrl C? what are you system specs? frame rate etc.

16. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

My system specs are in the usual place. I already said that my FPS (according to the counter) is locked at 130 using max framerate.

I tried turning down all details to minimum/off and that definitely stops the problem. Something have abviously changed with the graphics in 770. I can run with everything on max in the previous build.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

If you are getting 80-100 fps it is stuttering every time fps drops more then 5 fps it stutters do as Noel writes and it is going to work fine.

18. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I'm afraid it doesn't work. I have 144fps and yet there is stutter at particular places on the circuit. I can't get rid of it completely, it seems be not be related to the graphics but something else.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The point is to set "Max Framerate" in your player.json to be just below your "MINIMUM" framerate. So say you range between 70 - 150... Se the cap to 60fps. Most monitors are only capable of 60fps anyways so theres really no loss. I personally range between 100 - 150 but it looks like 30fps. It's hard to describe. It isn't really stuttering, it really looks like a consistent 30. Almost like the framerate display is wrong. But after setting "Max Framerate" to 60 it looks smooth as silk.

If you range from 70 to 144 and you set "Max Framerate" to 144, you're not going to see any change at all.