Heli cam

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by boblevieux, Oct 21, 2013.

1. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Hello, it is possible to have a tracking helicopter cam ?

2. Radar

Radar Registered

I would love for this to come into rF2. Haven't figured out how yet, but lets hope ISI can make this happen, to attach the cam to an object or animation therefore allowing unrestricted movement of the cam.

For example, I'd like to make an animation model follow part of the racetrack and allow the cam to be attached to this animation object.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

From a track builders' perspective, no thank you ;)

4. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

It sure would be a lot more work for builders :S
    My original wish was a slower camera rotation speed (with inertia) when we zoom-out in external view.

5. Radar

Radar Registered

If it was in, it doesn't mean people have to use it, only those who would like to spend the extra time in making it happen.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I don't think so, as would mean to model the "entire world" just to fly over the track... :)

7. PMC

PMC Registered

OK I know nothing about this but if we can make AI lines on the track why cant other lines or paths be drawn for cameras in the air such as the pit lane cameras at Bathurst (straight line cable )or the chopper going over the top in a rotating cycle , maybe we need more 'AUX' AI/camera lines, I know theres more to doing this, but like I said I know nothing about this stuff but i'm sure it could be done,

Or why cant an AI line be raised 30 metres from the track and make it a camera with a chopper.dds

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

It is not a camera technical limit. The problem is a virtual track is not completely modeled for obvious performance reasons, and because you really don't need all those stuff not visible @ ground level (+ a bit of vertical tolerance for swingman and sidecams). Implementing a Heli cam mean you need the entire scenery and the outer landscape to be completely modeled to avoid a silly and cheap visual. Furthermore the billboard technology is not so friendly on Top views, as for loddings and shadow maps/bias... :)

9. PMC

PMC Registered

AH ok I see ,its not impossible just unpractical ,,fair enuff :)

10. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Then, what about scripts, is it possible to have auto camera movement & target change via scripts ?

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I know it was possible in rf1 by simply increasing values in track-cams. just a high enough number so that a camera would be way up in the sky and would still behave the same in following cars around.

but i'm guessing that's no longer an option in rf2?

12. filippu

filippu Registered

Well, an helicopter view would still be possible on a track like the old Hockenheim, it wouldn't be much work to add more trees alongside the existing ones.
    The problem would be as you said that the billboard 2D trees wouldn't be great there, but maybe an additional VisGroup could help there. We already have the group L 2048 (things viewed from trackside cams), with a new group for things viewed from the car only, we could have 3D trees for the trackside cams only, and 2D trees from the car.

13. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

What about a camera movement going from one camera spot to another ?

A
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------B
    With the camera flying straight from tracking A to tracking B when the car enters its zone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014