Heavy truck freezes software, tire issues.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by jtbo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have been making tires for our Kenworth, it is currently around 8000kg vehicle.

Currently it does work, I can drive it, but bit randomly tires go crazy and simulation freezes, which means I need to kill it with task manager.

Tires are made from rtrainer tires, which I adjusted for size and also made belts as they are in real tires, that is 5 steel belts, radials. Tire pressure is around 700kpa as in trucks.

At very slow speed I can see front tire turning bit backwards more often than once in a second just a bit, but mostly rotates to right direction.

If I rotate camera around the vehicle sometimes one tire might disappear and there is only wheel, at the same time some other tire might be highly deformed, this is truck stationary, just moving camera around the truck, which does not make much sense.

Truck has 8 rear tires and two front tires, but as you know it is not currently known how to get 8 real rear tires so there are in reality just two rear tires for physics.

I suspect that part of the problem is bristle spring and damper, only vertical component I know how to get, no idea about dampers, so I have settings of this kind:
    TemporaryBristleSpring=(124000, 159054, 131500) // Lat/Vert/Long
    TemporaryBristleDamper=(0.5, 1.2, 0.5)

159054 was what I got from ttool for 0.036m deflection which is deflection by tire maker data. 1st and 3rd spring parameters I just threw 1 at front of numbers which had not much effect to issue itself.

But there were similar issues with rF1 too, however Niels seemed to find way around them as he managed to put that over 60 ton CAT into rF1, I can't.

Any ideas?

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I really don't know what is going on, yesterday I had truck working just fine, then I made some adjustments and it worked fine, today can't drive 100 meters as truck crashes dev mode.

Tires look like to be lot stiffer, not so much flex sideways and attempt to turn opposite direction at random split seconds making skid sound and smoke puffs.

I did put old tire files back in, no help, I did put old hdv file back in and problem was cured.

Then I did compare between two hdv files and noted the difference, edited one difference at time to new hdv file and restarted rf2 between each edit.

Conclusion, I have exactly same file again, compare of notepad++ reports they match, but now truck works again, I wonder if tomorrow it again stops working?

I did change antirollbars last yesterday, maybe has something relation to those, but it should really show up when I change them to be same as problem file.

Now most interesting bit, if I now swap to HDV that caused problems just moment ago, there is no longer any issue with it.

So it did not work, I renamed HDV copied another one in and it worked fine with that another HDV, changed values to match unworking HDV and still worked and now even if I rename files so that I use original HDV it still works.

Maybe I need to restart computer to test if it still works after that...

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

ok this maybe a weird answer but all i can say is its happened to me...sometimes i get the same sort of things happening with adjustments not working then working or the other way around or sometimes changes dont make any difference even though they should...when this happens i take the rFm file out of the game and then restart...then shut down and put rFm back in and BOOM my changes work...

maybe the game holds onto some info and by taking rFm out it resets/releases the info...i dunno but as i said its weird lol

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Hmm, maybe it is related to HAT building, there is PLR setting always rebuild HAT, but I have thought that it is only for tracks and not cars, but who knows, maybe it has some car related stuff too, which, imo. sounds weird, but there is so much I don't know or I'm mistaken about.

5. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

i dont think its a HAT thing...cars have HAT=False in gen files and you wouldnt think HDV lines would be kept..all i know is it happens sometimes and the rFm thing i do above fixes it

6. websta

websta Registered

I remember once telling a team mate in a mod that I had... forced it to work.
    sometimes a quite long winded process of elimination is required but often intuition can save time.
    Sounds fun what you are doing there, I have a heavy truck model I wanted to bring into rF just for fun (cant justify the time on it though).
    Its not anything to do with a high poly count maybe? (too many verts in the tyre sim)

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Here is two videoclips showing tire issue. Ignore flashing chat window, I noticed it happens when I start to record the video, maybe something else than ctrl-l would be better.

Anyway this is very much WIP state Kenworth from ChaseUSA mod me and Johannes are working on.

Weight is around 8000kg, well over 1000Nm torque, with upgrade motors over 2000Nm. Fairly low wheelrates, only 160 000 front and 240 000 rear, higher spring rates seem to have something to do with freezing. Tire pressure mild 700kpa.

rTrainer tires, scaled to size do work without crashing the sim most of the time, but of course they are too soft, but those don't cause crashing for now.

When I switch to proper truck tires that I made from data I had, I got app crash when entering to track, if my memory serves me well.

So I have now something from the half way, only 4 steel belts instead of 6 (then it is + thread area belts of course). However that too seem to get bit stiff as tires are not working at all and lot of crashing occurs, you can notice from video, that tires try to rotate by themselves with skidding sounds. Also you can see from other video how view angle affects how tires are looking.

I simply don't know if problems are because of I'm facing some limitation of engine or if I should still to something differently, but what it appears to be for me is that overall stiffness of tire and suspension goes too large for some variable range and that then starts causing the issues.

I did have similar issues in rF1 and there too only softer tires did work, but I did see Niels having that huge dump truck working in rF1, so obviously there is some way to allow tires to work properly, but perhaps it requires totally different approach from car tires.

Dual tires and two rear axles of them itself is perhaps something out of the reach, so there will be some imperfections coming from there, however I would like to keep weight as close to real as possible and would like to get bit stiffer suspension too, but soon I run out parameters to tweak and also start to get suspicious if it is even possible to get such done.