Headlights - variation between cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argo0, Apr 10, 2015.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

I'm getting a big variation in how the headlights for different cars work at night. For example, ISI's Nissan GTR and Camaro work perfectly at Malaysia and Tiger Moth but the ISI Corvette ZR1 and the URD cars have problems. They dont seem to light everything, for example, they'll light the road but not the grass in certain instances. I've also seen them stop lighting the road at all for a short time but still light the fence (although not as 'realistically' as the Nissan GTR or the Camaro).
    I know there was some discussion that the new lighting would require updates to most cars headlights but I cant find much about it since the build was released.

Is this just me having this issue?

2. coops

coops Banned

It's a mod problem.

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks coops, hope the required updates don't take too long from ISI, and modders if they have the time. Been waiting a long time to be able to race at night without immersion breaking visuals.

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

In theory they should work without hacking per car. It is something you get while driving (cockpit view) or side cams? Did you try reducing visible cars at night?

5. argo0

argo0 Registered

Here's some screenshots to help -

This is the ZR1 at Tiger Moth lighting a bit of the road, but not enough IMO, and none of the grass

View attachment 16392

This is the Nissan GTR, similar circumstances but doing a grand job

View attachment 16393

This is the ZR1 at Malaysia lighting the road, but not off road or car ahead

View attachment 16394

One second later, it lights areas previously unlit

View attachment 16395

Here's the Nissan, same bit, looking good

View attachment 16396

Finally, ZR1 at Malaysia lighting insufficiently or not at all or only some areas

View attachment 16397

View attachment 16398

Thanks for any help

6. argo0

argo0 Registered

Just like to know if this is just my install or whether everyone's got the same issue. Happens with a fresh player json as well.

Please.

7. Tuttle

If this issue is limited to that ZR1 looks like coops is right, stuff to be fixed on that mod.

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Is HDR on in the screenshots? Just curious.

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

just because i like cross-referencing, it sounds similar to the issue i noticed while working on Longford.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23002-Third-Party-Affiliate-ISI-Corvette-C6-and-Honda-NSX-Headlights-not-lighting-properly

from the car maker in that thread:
    One thing I wonder about is the number of headlights on the NSX/C6. It haven't checked for a long time but at least one of those cars seems to have two headlights per side (i.e. a total of four forward facing lights). I can't say if that's a factor or not, because I haven't checked how many lights are on the cars that don't have the issue :)

10. argo0

argo0 Registered

Ok, thanks for piling in with some input guys. HDR is on. As per my initial post, I think it's affecting more than just the ZR1. I'll do some more tests later.
    Surprised that this builds been out a week and nobody's really noticed this. Even now, I'm still not sure whether it's just my install or not!

11. Tuttle

I can't reproduce your issue in any ISI car, so I still think the best way to check something like that is to limit your tests to ISI contents (car/track combos) to check if your basic installation is fine. BTW Woochoo has a good point there, in his post.

EDIT: I'll try now to play your combo to check if I can.

12. argo0

argo0 Registered

Just seen that thread Woochoo, that absolutely does seem to be the same issue. Thanks again for your help, and Tuttle, much appreciated.

13. Tuttle

14. Tuttle

I just checked and looks like the problem is caused by values exceeding limits with a huge falloff exponential (average is x1.5 to x2.5 while mods causing the problem are using x120) and hotspot cones angles using 0°/225° instead standard average 10°/60°. Tried putting more standard values in there and the issue is gone. Should be easy to fix.

15. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks for taking the time to do that Tuttle.

16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yes, thanks from me too, Tuttle :)