Head movement - G-Forces

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkmater, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

I would like to know if there is a setting in an ini file or what not that would allow or if its present (which I can't tell), more right/left head movement in turns to represent the amount of g-force the car is under in the turn.

The issue plagued by sim racing is the fact that you can't feel g-forces, (some would say ffb does a good job of this, but I don't think its that great). I would like to have some indicator from head movement of how hard I am pushing the car through the turn. GT5 provides a g-force meter/indicator in the hud, but I would like to take this further instead of just asking for a g-force indicator, I would like to have some head movement feedback that gives me an idea of how much I am over driving the car in the turn.

I am all for the most accurate sim, but its fairly hard to get an idea of how much force is being generated within the turns without actually feeling it, or having some sort of graphical representation outside of ffb.

Just a suggestion or question if it already exists how do I make it more pronounced?

Thanks,

2. Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley Registered

it dose sound like a pritty cool idea, could work then again it could just make people sea sick. either way i would love to at lest try it especially when (i think) rfactor dose this for forewords and backwards g's, makes the cockpit camera move with acceleration and deceleration

3. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

Yes, exactly just like the forward/backward, does not have to be as pronounced but I feel some visual feedback is needed. I am also a big DCS flight sim fanatic, and I love the white/black out fade from g-forces, it lets you know that your pulling a bit to many g's, something you have to see, because you don't get physical feedback.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Are you saying you want the head to turn right when you turn your car left in a high G corner? Because every helmet cam footage I've ever seen shows that racing drives turn their heads towards the apex, G forces aren't enough to just throw their heads to the "wrong" direction.

5. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

Just something that gives a left/right indication of g force pull expressing magnitude of that pull.

6. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

I am not arguing for what is most realistic concerning what a real race car driver would do, I just want more feedback, because you don't have physical feedback of the cars g-forces.

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I've seen F1 drivers heads getting pushed into the side of the cockpit in fast turns in the turkish GP but you would never get that blackout you get in a fighter plane, the really high g-forces are rare and only last a few seconds, I'm in no way an expert but this is an interesting quote I found on the subject.

"Military pilots experience greater g loads," Monaghan says, "but these are typically aligned with the spine, whereas an F1 driver endures these loads almost at right angles to the spine."

Apparently this has an influence on how they stay conscious, very interesting subject. Gran Turismo 5 had a system of introducing huge vibration into the camera at high speed but that wouldn't happen in real life as your eyes have an inbuilt suspension mechanism.

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yes, lateral gs are much more forgiving than longitudinal. Col. John Stapp did a series of experiments in the 1940-60s on g forces using himself as the guinea pig to determine the effects of various types of g's on the human body. The data he collected is still used.

At most F1 drivers need to withstand between 5-6g under normal driving conditions (braking is usually the highest peaking around ~5g). Longer corners like turn 8 Turkey or the Peraltada in Mexico are the 'neck breakers' because they are sustained high positive gs.

The 2001 Texas race (Indycar) was cancelled due to drivers complaining of disorientation and losing peripheral vision, these being effects of sustaining high gs for along period of time. It was due to sustaining high gs (around 5) for up to 18 seconds of the 23 second lap. Multiply that by the race distance and it would be physically impossible to not lose consciousness. The symptoms were the first indicators on the road to losing consciousness completely.