HDR unreasonable performance hit

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tom Satherley, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Hi, today I installed the latest RF2 125.
    I carefully upped the graphics settings one by one to see what effect they have. The shadows/sun occlusion and environment reflection seem to have big hits, but are reasonable (120fps without -> 60-80fps with)

However when enabling HDR, the frame rate drops to 20fps. (120fps to 20fps) Is this a bug? Is HDR actually this GPU intensive?

I'm running a 5970 (xfire enabled) with a i5 @ 4ghz.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There are HDR issues, primarily with older ATI cards with this build. Set profile to none if you didn't already, see if that helps.

3. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

I just gave that a go. It's weird, and feels like a bug to me. On LRP, looking down the main straight (8 AI cars) the framerate is 10 with GPU usage only at 30% on each core. However as the cars move along, there are times where both gpu's are utilized 99% and the game runs at 120fps, followed by a stutter and a loss of frame rate again. This continues around the track, but the 10fps area is always there on the main straight.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

HDR is somewhat of a hit on my old pc, but that isn't the reason I don't run it. It washes all the colors out.. just doesn't look as real to me.

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

My card is a Radeon HD 5700 1GB (single card). And whenever I turn the HDR on, I'll get 7 FPS hit only.

Amazingly, this 7 FPS hit number doesn't change since the first time I bought rF2 in January 2012 (build 49).

This is my video of rF2 b49 (posted on YouTube in Jan 22, 2012)

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Have you tried it with xfire disabled? I found when I had 3 cards performance was most acceptable with only 1 card working. With 2 enabled fps went up (a bit) but it felt all stuttery. With 3 cards enabled fps was again a little higher but felt even worse, not only that, you had to have vsync enabled or the screen was all flashing and corrupted like an overclocked card showing artifacts only much worse. This was with 6870s. Now I have gone to 1 7970 its much better. I think xfire is broken.

8. 88mphTim

Is your CPU throttling? Your CPU could be reducing it's speed while rF2 is running.

Also, depending on your wheel, you may need to skip updated to stop the wheel driver from taking rf2 out of realtime running.

9. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

No I have disabled speedstep, its just running at 4ghz always. Disabling HDR fixes the issue.. although I have noticed a similar thing when navigating the pits with 18 AI cars there. But not on track. Performance for me is fine now, I can live without HDR and higher shadow settings, frame rate is most important, i'm always over 100 now.

My wheel is a g27, does this wheel have the issue you mentioned? What do you mean by skip updated?

Thanks,
    Tom

10. 88mphTim

Thanks Tom. You have an ATI card, I assume?

Sorry, I meant skip updates, you don't need that.

11. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Yes I have an ATI 5970 running the latest beta drivers.

12. Alfred

Alfred Registered

hmm..

13. Alfred

Alfred Registered

Build 125 its so good for me ..I have ATI 7970 GHZ XHTI 3 GB and rf 2 runnig perfeckt I set maximum sittins CCC + rf 2 config +HDR lastest Beta treiber 12.11-11 So great performance ..:)

14. 88mphTim

Seems Joe is going to have to do some workarounds especially for the ATI cards... Annoyingly...

15. clock

clock Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012