Haybales and Yellow Flags

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MarcoSaupe, Dec 4, 2012.

1. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

Hi

I just had a nice race in Spa with the old F2 cars, nice duel with another driver... until at the exit of eau rouge there suddenly were some haybales on the track, thrown around by a lapped driver, without any yellow flags warning us... I came through, but he didn't so the duel was over.

So I think the best option would be:

1) display 2 yellow flags if, say, 300m ahead is
    a) a collision
    b) a car or object static or slower than, say, 25kph ON the track

2) display 1 yellow flag if
    a) a car or object static or slower than, say, 25kph OFF the track
    b) point 1) is, say, 500-300m ahead

Please ISI, I think this is absolutely vital if one wants to drive league races!

Marco

2. stdave

stdave Registered

Remove the haybales from the racing surface after a certain time eg 30secs
    or remove the haybales when no cars are close by, as a marshall would.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They used to leave dead bodies, burnt out cars etc on the racing surface during the 1960's. adjusting your line to the objects on the surface seems to fit, no?

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

4. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

Yes, absolutely... if you get a warning with a yellow flag that there are objects on the road... then you can slow down a bit so you can avoid them. If you go around a corner, with no warning whatsoever, and suddenly there is this haybale on the road, you have 0 chance, that's why I ask for yellow flags.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Indeed!

Plus they didn`t use Yellow flags etc in the 60`s (afaik) so flag rules should be turned off too.

6. stdave

stdave Registered

I do not think that would leave a dead body on the racing surface, or for that matter a haybale.
    After a certain amount of time when there are no cars around they should be removed. Obviously it is more difficult to remove objects on shorter tracks as the cars are coming past more often but at places like Spa or the Ring there are plenty of chances to remove objects.

7. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I absolutely agree with everything Marco says, and that is not only because I was the 'other driver' and our wonderful duel was so abrubtly ended. I had absolutely no chance to avoid the haybales. They were all over the track with just a barely big enough gap on the very right. Luckily we were a few seconds ahead of following cars at that moment. If we weren't, it could easily have been a 'big one'.

Last race at Monaco I had a single tire lying in the middle of the harbour chicane. No yellow flag. No chance to avoid the accident & end of race. Have the marshals wave yellow flags when there is something on the road ahead and there is no issue.

We also need something changed about the reflector posts in Spa that only those with full track details see. This setting is not forcable or controllable by a race admin, and is therefor a problem in league racing. Same issue as with other parts on the track: you can easily wreck your race when hitting one that is lying around on track. No yellow flags waved at the speeds you are doing in Spa means no chance of avoidance, really. I wish for a online race version of Spa with disabled collision on the posts, tbh.

There is only so much realism possible anyways (thank god we cannot get killed driving these!) so arguments like 'no yellow flags' back in the 60s I can't take serious. If it stays as it is, I fear only a handful of hardcore simmers will drive these cars and tracks in leagues. And I guess as it's only very few, their leagues wouldn't be around for long. And that would be a shame, considering how great these cars and tracks are to drive. Take another bit of 'realism' away and this is more fun for so many more people.

One idea about the haybales (and tirestacks; at the chicane at Croft for instance) - would it be possible to program some kind of rubber band they could be attached to? So that they move a bit when hit, but more or less remain in place?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012