[Guide] Restore rF2 from backup with all settings, workshop content and subscriptions

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Roenie, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Roenie

Roenie Registered

To backup and restore rF2 onto a new steam library or new steam install on a new OS, this is what you need:

\steamapps\common\rFactor 2 which includes \UserData which contains all your settings and car setups.
    \steamapps\workshop\appworkshop_365960.acf tells steam what workshop content you subscribed to.
    \steamapps\workshop\content\365960 contains the subscribed workshop content.
    \steamapps\appmanifest_365960.acf lets steam know the rFactor 2 folder is in the library, so it shows up as "installed". (requires steam restart)

Once I figured this out, absolutely zero manual setup was required after the fact, even though I copied the game from Win7 to a new steam install and new library folder location on Win10. Everything is the same as my old install. What a great time saver. There is no need to "install" the game if you've made a backup of all of the above. Upon first run the game should automatically install any required Visual C redistributable packages, but they're in the \support\runtimes folder if you need them. There is nothing in C:\Users\Yourname for rF2 and you can completely ignore \steam\userdata\* as well because the userdata are in \common\rFactor 2\userdata.

I had to figure it out myself as this info wasn't easy to quickly find, so I created this post to make the information available for the next person to find.

This guide is on Steam too in slightly longer form: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2612086173 so you can use that if you want to send me fun yet pointless awards or add it to favorites so you can find it again in the future. ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    rand777, atomed and Corti like this.