Guide of SplineTrackMaker ( MMtools ) by Galaga

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

OK. I decided to completely start over and document in excruciating detail what I am doing because something is not right. This may also serve as a visual guide of sorts to others as well...

Step 1 - Import KML via ImportGeo
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Step 2 - Make track via TrackMaker
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Observation/Question #1 - This track is a point to point track. Is something special required to keep from crashing rF2?

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Step 3 - Assign materials
    Note: I originally mapped all materials required by Real Road per track technology document, but for this round I am deliberately applying one texture only to keep failure points to a minimum.

Step 3a - Open Material Editor --> Click Standard button --> Select Multi/Sub-Object --> Select Discard Old Material
    [​IMG]

Step 3b - Rename parent material
    [​IMG]

Step 3c - Set number of materials to 1
    [​IMG]

Step 3d - Click on Material #47 under Sub-Material --> Click on Standard button --> Select gMotorMaterial --> Click on Map #1
    [​IMG]

Step 3e - Click on None under Bitmap, select Track_main.dds and rename "sub_material_texture"
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Step 3f - Rename Material#47 road_sub_material
    [​IMG]

Step 3g - Select all objects and assign material to selection.
    [​IMG]

3. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Note: Material is black so I decided to render the scene to see if there is a clue and received the following UVW warning:
    [​IMG]

... so I opened TrackMaker and click CREATE MAPPING under UV mapping. Then I remembered I forgot to 'PICK TRACK' so I clicked that button and then CREATE MAPPING again.
    [​IMG]

But track is still black but I decide to see what happens when I render and I no longer get the UVW warning but all I get is a black box:
    [​IMG]

So I am going to stop here for feedback because it may make sense to make sure that I have Max setup properly because something appears to be amiss regarding textures. Note also that I was unable to successfully import Transfagarasan using GMT importer v2 but Mario was able to so that is more evidence that something may be wrong with my Max installation or configuration. Please advise. Thanks.

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Looks like that worked. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Step 4 - Create xObjects and pitObjects
    [​IMG]

Step 5 - GMT Converter v2.52n
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Weird, I was confirming timestamp of output files and realized I did not have all objects selected as only xfinish.gmt was updated. So back in Max I selected all and Clicked DO MESH and it told me Track_3 had no texture coordinates, even thought the first time it didn't but track_3 WAS in the updated scene file but anyway I expect this is UVW so I used TrackMaker UVW mapper and then re-exported scene and GMT after select all objects. Now all files are updated.

Step 6 - On the file side, I am going to use my existing files from last attempt but replace scene and double-check all files. If that fails then I will re-create all files and folders from scratch and take screenshots of everything, etc. But for now, let's see if it works! FYI I also cleaned up all extraneous files, such as old GMT versions and scene files even if they had different names just to be sure.

OK, so I am still locking up in Dev mode. The track loads, my wheel turns all the way to the left and I see myself in the Skippy and the road in front of me but I am completely locked up and have to kill dev mode with win 7 task manager.

So, like I said above this is a point to point track so not sure if that means anything. Also, I left all the x and pit objects at their default locations and applied same material to them as the road. The objects seem to be out of order and xfinish is exactly at the beginning of the track_3 object so my guess is that you would want several feet of track then xpitin then xpitout then xfinish (assuming this is actually the start) then xsector 1 then xsector 2 then another xfinish? Please advise or I will go head and move these objects tonight when I am home from work and see if that has any affect.

Thanks again for all the help.

P.S. - Mario your GMT material tool says to drag the file to view port to install but it won't let me do that. Thoughts?

Thanks again :)