GTE Tyres

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by r00b Driver, Aug 31, 2022.

1. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Hello!

I need some help regarding the new GTE tyres.

Running the Porsche RSR around a few tracks now, namely Road America and Hockenheim, which both have more right turns.

During a 40 minute race, with no pitstops, I can be 15% or more usage on my front left tyre than all the others (which are within a few % points of each other). EDIT: Medium tyres (!)

Is this normal?

Or is there set-up adjustments other than Camber and Tyre pressure I can make?
    Or is it just a driving style thing that I need to work on?

Many thanks

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  2. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Too many right hander turns will wear left side tyres more and vice versa.
    Depending on corner type >
    1) if corners are front limited then front will wear faster
    2) if corners are rear limited then rear will wear faster.

Road America has long sustained med-high speed right hand turns , this should wear front left faster.
    My advice is >>
    • Try stiffening up rear ARB , this will take load away from front left a bit.
    OR
    • if u can manage run rear left on packer just for high speed corners , this way u don't have to stiffen rear ARB and still have rear mechanical grip in slow turns, but this will take more trial and errors.

3. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Cheers dude, I'll give it a try :)

Simulation_Player likes this.
  4. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

It's normal, and it's because the track characteristics, long fast right corners, which loads more the left front tires. Even doing asymmetrical camber and tire pressures, will not give you that much difference.

However, like Simulation_Player said, you can move the load rearwards balancing the front/rear wear relation, this is desirable because it will make the wear more even front/rear and keep the initial car balance(over/understeer) through the entire stint, making you faster in total time.

To do it, you should keep the Springs and ARB difference between front/rear as close as possible, just making more softer where you want to wear less or stiffer on the opposite side. To confirm if you're on the right way, do 1/3 of a stint and compare the front/rear wear.

About driving style, it's always important to watch onboards to see the steering angle used on corners by real or fast virtual drivers, maybe you're turning more than necessary which automatically will make you wear the fronts more. Remember that most part of the turning should be done by your pedals/differential and not by your wheel.

r00b Driver likes this.