GT3 - soft\medium tyre?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R.Noctua, Jan 11, 2020.

1. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Friends, hello!
    I joined the game yesterday and am a bit surprised that the GT3 class has a choice of tyre types. Is it real? Only hard(in IRL) as far as I know.

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

It's nice to have a choice atm but most of the time racing anything other than softs (mediums in endurance races AND ONLY if it makes logical sense to use it. Which is not often) is just leaving laptime on a table. It's almost like with iRacing and their single compound (minus weather tires). I suspect things might change once they will implement real dynamic weather with working ambient/track temps that dynamically influence tire's thread and inner layers of rubber.

Sad part is that from experience I predict that might come in 2-3 years... if they really make haste.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wish they only came with hard compound. With softs they feel as if with qualification tires. Lots of grip, lots of wear too. In general I never was satisfied by those tires. But I don't do very much of driving with those cars.

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Lots of wear? Actually too little to make any real head-squeeze decisions about using mediums. On some tracks you can easily double stint softs.

atomed likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just remembered the discussion of Audi GT3 tire wear at zandvoort. AFAIK other cars wear less. IMO thats still lots of wear. But, I guess, I agree that it is still not enough. Well, perhaps except with Audi, IDK. Also perhaps things has changed sice then.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

IRL the compounds are chosen mostly depending on track and most important track temperature, since track temps dont affect tires yet in rf2 having multiple compounds like that doesnt make much sense. Well, at least that's what I learned from a forum member that works for a GT3 team in Australia. Quote from him (this from a couple of years ago)
    Would be nice if they made it like Enduracers tho (I mean the first ones when they ported their mod, not sure about current ones) where there was significant grip and wear difference between compounds making different strategies very interesting, but that's more F1 like racing than GT

atomed likes this.
  7. David Wright

David Wright Registered

The rF2 GT3's appear to use Pirelli rather than Michelin tyres. The Blancpain series, which uses Pirelli tyres, is limited to one slick compound. Having said that, rF2 is not trying to simulate the Blancpain series and so you can argue multiple compounds are fine.

atomed likes this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Considering they were updated after the visit to Duqueine I think all tires are done based on Michelins. The point still remains: multi tires that are temperature based dont make much sense till they update the physics

atomed likes this.