Grouping Gears

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by BMASTER, Oct 9, 2014.

1. BMASTER

BMASTER Registered

Hey guys

I'm wondering if it is possible to group gears and let the groups have different final ratios.
    For example gears 1-4 have a final ratio of 4.8 and the gears 5&6 have a final ratio of 3.6.
    I hope this is possible.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

i dont understand how do you mean this, gear ratio is a gear ratio, final ratio is a ratio after going thru the rest of the knucles and joints and differencial

3. BMASTER

BMASTER Registered

I mean, I have a car in real life, that has a final gear ratio for gear 1-4 and another final gear ratio for gear 5 & 6.
    I'm really confused about this, since I didn't think that this is possible.

4. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

What transmission is this IRL?
    There are grouping options, but it is for the input/output shaft gears.
    From what I can tell you have two options
    either adjust the 1-4 to produce the same result with the 3.6 rear as it would with 4.8
    OR
    adjust the gearing of 5&6 to produce the same result with the 4.8 as it would with 3.6

5. BMASTER

BMASTER Registered

I already tried to adjust, but it didn't work out that well. But maybe I did it wrong, was pretty late.
    Can you tell me, what is meant with input/output shaft gears?

6. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Traditionally the engine drives the input shaft through the connection of flywheel/clutch, gearing adjusts to spin the output shaft which then connects to the Crown Wheel from the Pinion. Each ratio is made of a set of gears one on the input, one on the output shaft.
    Example:
    If my 1st gear set has 13 input and 41 output shaft teeth (3.154:1) and the P/CW is 8/32 (4.00:1) and I needed to adjust it for a 7/35 P/CW,

1 Input rotation= 13/41 output rotations and 13/41*8/32 rear axle rotations, Roughly 12.615:1 overall. 12.6153846154/5=2.52307692308 13/33, 15/38, 17/43 might be options for an adjusted 1st.

Basically you need to adjust something because rf does not support changing rear gear while in the car. It also does not support CVT.

The grouping available is set up so that only certain ratios are available to pick for certain gear numbers. It reflects reality, for example:
    [​IMG]