Grip Poor when Race is Resumed

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Alastar, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Alastar

Alastar Registered

I've swapped a car's TGM files and the slip curve data in the TBC file with files and data from another car. The car drives fine until I want to pause a race and resume the race later. When I resume the race the car's grip is poor and it's so bad that I can no longer continue the race. I'm using the PLAY REPLAY option, in the REPLAY tab, of the OPTIONS menu to resume a race. I thought the cause might be because RF2 might be loading old incorrect data from files in the \rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\["Track name"]\ folder. So I deleted the files in this folder but this didn't fix it. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Replay fidelity setting: Full

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First, the TBC slip curve is used by AI only. It has no effect on the car if you're driving it.

If this didn't happen before, it would suggest the new TGM you're using is the culprit. Perhaps the tyre is very sensitive to temperature? I believe resumed tyres don't have the same temperature. People seem to advise resuming from just before a pit stop, I think.

What was the reason for the swap?

3. Alastar

Alastar Registered

I heard that the slip curve in the TBC is only used by AI before, but I've found that changing it changes the skid effect produced by SimHub ShakeIt Bass Shakers software of the car I'm driving. Maybe the software is using the AI data to drive the tactile transducers?

Yes, it does seem that the tires are too hot when I resume. However, before making these changes to this car and with other cars that I've driven, I've noticed that the tires are cold when I resume. So I normally be very careful for the first lap after resuming. I would have to agree the best time to resume is probably while you are in the pits.

I'll try the original TGM files with the new slip curve data and the original slip curve data with the new TGM files and see what that does.

I made these changes to improve the tire skid effect of this car and I have been able to improve this effect.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Alastar I was thinking more along the lines of the new tyre (TGM) being more slippery with cold temperatures after the resume. That would be the first part of the StaticCurve in the [Realtime] section.

Your shakers are very likely relying on telemetry data output by the game, and again that shouldn't involve the TBC at all (I think its only relevant parameters for the player are starting temperature and radius). The only way the TBC could be used is if the software extracts it from the game's MAS files (which wouldn't work with any encrypted mods like DLC), I think that's very unlikely.

If you swap between TBC and TGM just make sure the radiuses match, otherwise you can get strange physical effects. To get the radius of the TGM check the y position of the middle node.