Grip in RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaetanL, Nov 17, 2013.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

Understand, yes i have your file in use, just with the diff in car multi and driver config. The other file i mentioned is the one i started later with, just for further test purpose with the standard config but with the first difference of 0 steering resistance.

About realism i agree but we have no clue, or at least me what this cars feel like, so i see no harm in adjusting them more to my like in driving comfort.

The logic behind is the connected physic parameters Paul. Every car has a starting point because of it's specific setup and kinematic as you know and also will there be a point where you start to feel the alignment strength wth increasing caster.

So where the car starts to feel like what it does actually, is the range really representing the real behaviour, so the overall feeling ?

If it would be adjusted anywhere, it might be possible the max value is far overdone and the whole car feels wrong.

Things like steering loock and steering angle should be possible to change in this class vehicles in real as well, so there is also no harm to do so, while it has a great influence and builds the basis for the feeling, and not just has a influence on turn in radius.

If you have the optimum, you should feel the slip angle slighty overcome while cornering with max steering angle. This is a good indicator for a max range of kinematics. Everything more than needed for the track would make things just worse in feeling, so the whole driving.

You are right i don't know this sort of cars nor any open wheeler by driving.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

That's fine and sorry for my english. Any standard conversation is already difficult for me and the more with technical language involved.

Let's see how the cars will feel with further optimization with my perception of things.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

I experience one or the other sensation for the time and sometimes i don't get the grin from my face and sometimes a disappointment manifests itself by interruption of the flow by any surprise, in most cases by the rear of some vehicles but others again are awesome and almost perfect.

On a scala up to 10. Tested cars with current FFB settings are: Skippy=5 Camaro GT3=7 - Clio= 9 - Megane= 9

edit: in any case it's fun and the feeling on the steering wheel is partly madness.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

ah ah, the Skip is the only one I completely love. You can feel the warming up of everything and do controlled slides for days (if you're mad). I should try the others again, I guess.

5. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Agree, Skip is great, but if you haven't tried the 60s F1s, then you haven't seen the light yet :)
    Those babies are amazing, and yes, I hated them, I couldn't understand how people could even drive those monsters, but then you learn :)

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Oh yeah, they're fun too.

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

Sure they are all fun to drive anyway, but seriously i still do not think that the skippy or the camaro gt3 are properly on the rear, at least in the perception on my part but i want to believe they are and if, they are either bad cars in real as well or whatever and i can not remember to have such a thing ever seen or experienced, but ok i'll leave it at that and look for the next fun vehicle until things are more complete.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I wonder at least in the case of the skippy if you are coming off the throttle too fast? The lift off oversteer is pretty brutal on the skip, but once you modulate the throttle when coming off it behaves i find. Skip for me is by far rF2's best car and shows exactly what rF2 can do, especially paired with LRP. Skip was my most raced car in iRacing and also now in rF2 when i do venture online. It's great sim car and feels rewarding in rF2 when driven fast.

9. Galaga

Galaga Banned

+1

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

@FONismo

I really struggle to believe that but ok yet i would not rule out that i have no feeling for it for whatever reason, therefore i would not establish an assertion and let my opinion the professionals.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Did you read the cars profile page? It does tell you how you HAVE to drive this car:
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/skip-barber-2000/

It says:
    It is very important to keep the throttle down while turning, as this will keep the rear suspension loaded and the car more stable. Weight transfer is also critical, and any changes to throttle input on entry or mid-way through a turn, which will shift the weight away from the rear and cause “lift off oversteer”, will often lead to a spin.

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I watched this the other night, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM
    and reinstalled rF2 from scratch and started driving the Skip exclusively. Spot on. Brakes warming up, tires warming up, off throttle oversteer, trail-braking, everything works as intended. It was mindblowing. Started getting top 10s against 95% AI instead of spinning out.

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

I really try to understand and i'm with you guys on this and it is also not the grip itself, it is the feeling of the rear as example at low speed and or mainly the brutal weight shift lightning tail brutally, or the endless traction of the loaded rear wheel although no more thrust is applying by throttle modulation and this happens sporadically when the car starts to slide.

A good example of a flying rear was the clio in it's first release. If it is the same reason, i do not know but that is one of those presented car behaviours i rate as wrong, or better say a bit overdone.

@realkman666

Me too. That is one of those reasons why i feel much better with everything. Startet everything from scratch with a fresh installation of the whole sys, and it was worth it. :)

@Tim

I'll give it a shot, and maybe someday someone can teach me to drive this odd machines live on track. :)

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Front wheel cars can lose the back end, they can get really sideways, but they are also easier to catch. The BTCC Honda gets sideways, and it's super easy to correct, makes it a lot of fun. If you watch BTCC you'll see the cars at almost 90 degrees sometimes, and the driver gets it back, it's actually easy to get them. :D

Anyway, the video posted in the post above is also great. Worth watching.

15. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Jason Plato 2009 is a perfect example of what Tim has just said. This was an epic save..

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes but don't fly like someone stop you on the front and decc down to 0 speed suddenly. How it is now is great, even i would give it the last point for a tiny bit more rear distribution in motion. Put simply, moving the COG to some degree to the rear.

I am looking forward to the BTCC. :)

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

And the Silverstone National, and an AI fix for Croft, and Oulton...

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

Oh yes the wish list for christmas is long but i'm already satisfied with any update, unless it throws us not back :)

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

People seem to think only RWD cars oversteer when if anything it is the FWD with the most oversteer. I think people are convinced that FWD racecars feel just like there FWD daily drivers. The Clio's in rF2 aren't road cars. FWD race cars are very predictable. Unload the rear and they start to rotate, when they get where you want them, apply a tad more throttle and the rear stops instantly. To me the Clio feels perfect.

realkman666, this video should be a mandatory watch for everyone.

20. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

*Especially* FWD cars that lift a rear wheel under hard cornering. My VW GTI will come around quite easily when things get frisky ;)