Grass texture help please (Lakeside Park ) :)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mikec87, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

Hi everyone,

I have started updating my Lakeside Park track to RF2 standards. I am working on the terrain and it is coming along well, fixing up errors and getting it ready to add textures.

At the moment I have a standard grass as a filler, but I am looking a Mores and the whole feel and look is so very close to the Lakeside track near home.

I am still having issues understanding how to apply the textures. I am using 3Ds Max 2010 and that part is good. I just don't comprehend how to make the grass look like I want it too. The art of a track is very important now more than when I was building this track for RF1.

This track has historical significance as well, and I want to do it justice. So, if someone can help, and yes I have done the reading, but not understanding the blending side. If I can not get it done myself I am more than happy to ask for help, email the basic terrain and road files if needed.

If you look at the attached image, part of Mores and part of Lakeside are very close to each other. I want my track to basically duplicate Mores terrain.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

View attachment 18885

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Hi mike, you might want to take a look at this thread and update your 3dsmax to the service pack in the post if you haven't already. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ader-Vertex-Colors-assignments-reset-to-black

Once that is done make sure you have set the material correctly and UV map each texture channel.
    Then you can follow the pdf and vertex paint your terrain. http://imagespaceinc.com/downloads/rf2/modsresources/rF2_Terrain_Shader.pdf

NOTE: The vertex paint is the final step. You want the terrain topology and the mesh density finished before you start painting, otherwise your paint can get screwed up if you move or add more verts.

I'll be happy to jump on my TS with you and chat about it. Just send me a PM and a time you can make it and we can go from there

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  3. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Hello Mike,

Here's a link with some textures grass and gravel textures that I worked on some time ago.

http://simracing.endless-resources.org/downloads/Nuno/Share_center/Mike.rar

Inside rar are the detail, multiply, specular and normal maps needed.

Tone maper these days is note the same but is something good to start with I think. You simply have to map two channels, to main texture and to multiply texture. You can use the grass texture with grass shader as Nibiru said but, I don't have right here a good dirt/sand texture to work with that this grass so by that time I was using decals to do the blend as you can see in images below.

[​IMG]

Inside you have a TXT with shader and map channel used.

Let us know how you progress goes or if you need more help ;)

4. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

Thank you so much Nibiru. I have SP2 installed. It covers 1 and the hotfixes.

I will do some practice and catch up with you.

5. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

That is great thank you. Can I also ask for the road textures and edge instructions as well. I like how yours looks. Did you use spline mapping?

6. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

You have PM with link and instructions ;)

7. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Sorry for being late one day but I've been fighting with logarithms last 3 days :(

In meanwhile I searched the 3ds max scene from textures that i sent you the other day... After search it I was to do a small image tutorial that will share along with the complete pack of textures...

Mike be sure you download the new textures too because there's another one missing in first package.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Follow the link to get images and textures. (You must be registered to be able to download textures)

Click here