Graphics Card Question..Help Please..

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Johnny Speed, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Ok. I trust you guys with my computer questions...

So, my graphics card died GTX950 2 gig. In a state of panic I ordered the first one I could afford from Amazon:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition
    After I ordered it, I noticed it is powered by the PCI slot, the motherboard, and not plugged directly into the power supply like my old card is. Is there anything to worry about? Will this card work? My motherboard is Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3. I built the computer about 8 or 9 years ago strictly for sim-racing and it has been wonderful. I am worried about how the new card gets it's power. Please, will this card work? It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow...I hope I didn't make a mistake by ordering this in a haze of panic...

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well, it all depends upon your motherboard & it ability to send current through the PCI(and the rating of your power supply)
    But a bigger worry is the 4gb video ram. You can run rF2 with 4gb of Vram, but even moderately high settings will consume 6 to 8gb from any of the newer laser scanned tracks combined with the newest cars.

3. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

I have been enjoying rF2 with my old 2 gig card so this is a step up! But, my question is about the power supply to the card..my old card has external power. (650 watt power supply). I do not mind turning details down, shadows off, ect. I use a 32" tv with VGA input. With a adapter from the card to VGA..

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The card is designed for PCI 3.0, which is the previous generation that many many users are still running. I would guess it 'should' work. I guess pay attention to the refund requirements but it may allow you more than your old card was capable of. Best of Luck!

5. JoeP1

JoeP1 Registered

650 watts should be more than enough to power that card. I have an older system (for granddaughters) using EVGA's version of that card with a 550 watt psu, and it works fine.

Johnny Speed likes this.
  6. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

From my googling 5 seconds ago after you said PCI 3.0...it looks like it "should work" lol, just like you said. Man, I am not computer savy. I will see what happens. And, 4 gigs is better than two...It's twice as good! lol..

Corti likes this.
  7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

No importa que sea 3.0 si la placa base es 2.0 también funcionará pero a menor velocidad si es lo que puedes pagar te funcionará mejor que lo que tenías, la fuente de alimentación es suficiente también funcionará, suerte y a disfrutar

Johnny Speed likes this.
  8. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

It does not matter if it is 3.0 if the motherboard is 2.0 it will also work but at a lower speed if it is what you can pay it will work better than what you had, the power supply is enough it will also work, good luck and enjoy

Thank you @juanchioooo . I will let you guys know how it goes, should have it all running by this weekend..

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

yes, even if it only has 4 gigabytes, the graphics card will be much better than what you had, I await your new comments on how it works friend, good luck with it

Johnny Speed likes this.
  10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Could you say more about your setup.
    Is the adapter you have a DVI to VGA?
    There is a high chance it will not work with your new card.

Looking at pictures of the new card it has a DVI-D (digital) port not DVI-I (analog)
    You can read about DVI here
    https://itm-components.co.uk/blogs/news/what-are-the-differences-between-dvi-connectors-and-signals

You might need to use a HDMI cable instead.

4 Gig Video Mem is fine.
    The power is fine too.
    Enjoy your new card.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Johnny Speed and juanchioooo like this.
  11. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Yes, DVI to VGA is what I have been using with my old card..but HDMI cable will work? My TV has HDMI inputs. Thank you for the warning..I would have been pulling my hair out and screamimg at the walls...thank you @DJCruicky

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    DJCruicky likes this.
  12. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Yes, the card has HDMI port. As a bonus the picture will be a bit better too as it's no longer analog.

Johnny Speed likes this.
  13. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Thanks for the warning, I will let you all know how it goes..You guys are awesome.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The HDMI cable will also try to hijack your sound, if you have speakers make sure windows is configured to use them and not let the sound come out of your TV.

Johnny Speed likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Might be an upgrade from the pc speaker he's been using so far:D

@JustDave no offense of course - but damn, you're rocking an old pc!

Johnny Speed likes this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

That's right, I had a very similar one, to be Ram ddr3 if that's where the kid can go, it will work for him And the 1050ti won't hurt him, a small jump in quality, although it's certainly old

Johnny Speed likes this.
  17. Alex96

Alex96 Registered

The last 4 years I used 1050 Ti 4 GB (I changed it in February this year). The PSU won't be a problem, you might even get lower power consumption.
    For me it was playable in PCI 3.0 at a medium level, I don't know what performance it will have with PCI 2.0...
    My only advice is to control the temperature and that the fan reaches 100% of its r.p.m. when necessary because with the graphic improvements that have been introduced in the game, the card will be taken to its maximum performance and for me the temperature that it reached at times was worrying, for that reason I changed it.

Johnny Speed and juanchioooo like this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

good comment... I would say that you have to install the msi afterbourner and define a line of work for the fan, that from 60º or even before the fan works at 100%,... that although the card can withstand high temperatures, more fresh and better yield

19. regged

regged Registered

CPU-Z will tell you a lot about your CPU and motherboard, including the type of PCI slot you have and which slot is best for the new graphics card.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Get the 64bit zipped version.
    If you post the make and model of your motherboard that is shown we should be able to say whether the card will run at max speed or be restricted in some way.

Johnny Speed likes this.
  20. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

All great advise, thank you guys! I do have CPU-Z on my computer already and I do have external speakers so I will make sure they are what the computer uses. @Lazza, lol, yes she is old but everything I play (rF1 and 2, AMS 1 and 2, P-Cars 2) all run great for me so hopefully the new GPU will make them even better! (Fingers crossed). Amazon is supposed to be delivering today..so hopefully tomorrow I will have her back together. Thanks a lot for all the advise! You guys rock.

juanchioooo and Corti like this.