Gran-Turismo-like Time Trial Plugin

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by TheRexorcist, Jul 4, 2016.

1. TheRexorcist

TheRexorcist Registered

Hi guys,

I've mentioned it another thread already, but I wanted to make it more visible.

As a long-time Gran Turismo fan I finally discovered rFactor2, and let's just say I'm not going back.

Anyway, I thought rFactor2 was lacking one core functionality: Time Trials.

I don't want to bore you to death, you can find a lot of information on the project page (see below), so I'm just going to state the essentials: My plugin enables you to competitevly race your buddies in your living room, and compare your times like you can do with Gran Turismo. My plugin comes with its own HUD, and I had to seriously rape my brain to make it work. I haven't yet implemented everything I want to, and the user interface looks kind of sluggish, but the core functionality is there.

Not sure whether you're interested in such a project at all, because for you hardcore drivers it's probably the online competition which matters most, but I still wanted to share.

Here's the project page: https://github.com/flomar/rFactor2TimeTrial

Here you can find the latest release: https://github.com/flomar/rFactor2TimeTrial/tree/master/releases

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The thing is working on my development machine without issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of you lacked certain DLLs in your path, so if you have any trouble getting the thing to work, just create a reply in this thread and I'll be happy to help out.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Awesome! And with source code. Great contribution.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It would be cool if the topic was a explained a bit further. Maybe a video could be helpful to show functionality.

I understand that it only works in a lap time basis. If correct the only difference wrt ghost driver would be changing car for a countdown? Wouldn't it be very similar to delta best? I'm confused as you see.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

4. TheRexorcist

TheRexorcist Registered

Thanks. At the very least maybe somebody can learn from the source code... :)

I agree, an example video would be a good idea. However, I don't have a video capturing software yet. I just hit google, and the number of results is overwhelming. I'll look into it...

Yeah, it only works on a lap-time basis, and yes, the delta-best plugin is similar. Not sure whether the delta-best plugin supports this, but my plugin provides "driver profiles" where you can have a specific profile for each driver and thus not just compare the very best time overall, but loads of times for each individual driver. For me, that was kind of the point to develop the whole thing. Also, my plugin comes with a full-fledged HUD, so you don't need any of the HUD elements rFactor2 provides, I have them all turned off.

Anyway, I'm looking into the example video thing and get back to y'all as soon as I have uploaded something to youtube.

5. TheRexorcist

TheRexorcist Registered

Alright, here you go...

[video]https://youtu.be/IsGXOZuy3YM[/video]

The video quality is bad, but I think it's enough to get the idea across.

Note that there's a cut in the video, I was just too lazy to convince Blender to add a fade effect. ;)

6. Jake Loewenstein

Jake Loewenstein Registered

Sorry to resurrect this old thread!
    I tried to help myself, but there arent many references to this plugin anywhere on the net.
    I am a recent convert to rFactor2 I would love to get this plugin working...

I installed the .dlls to their respective 32/64 bit /plugin folders in the rFactor2 folder hierarchy.
    Installed the .cfg file to the /rFactor2 root folder.
    Then I double click the "QTimeTrial.bat"
    and it returns these error messages:

"This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "". Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

and closing that window brings another error:

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I have run the "QTimeTrial.bat" file inside its "QTimeTrial" directory with all the other files and "win32" dir in tact...
    I have moved the QTimeTrial directory to the rFactor root dir and also C:\ and tried running from those locations with the same result.

I know this is an old plugin, but any help would be so appreciated, I love hotlapping!!!!

Best, Jake

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017