Going to 32GB RAM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Just trying to help. ;)

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, I've been doing exactly that (albeit with dds rather than png) for a nonsense little project i'm currently working on.
    I often do quick iterations for meshes to check in-game/viewer though, and sometimes they're edits that are best done with as much horsepower as possible (sometimes only with as much horsepower as possible). At that point I end up having to be running two instances of 3dsMax (which is easy 'cause I have the ram) but time consuming to save/load projects (and max) for replacing updated meshes. It just ends up with me sitting for 10-20-30 seconds, doing nothing. That might not sound like much of a problem to others, but somehow when i'm trying to make something, any delay is a complete disaster. And it's often sitting for 10-20-30 seconds multiple times over the course of 5-10 minutes. It doesn't just slow the work, it makes me less interested in working, which means I'll do less of it.

I'm only having a moan about it for some stress relief. I'm sure the programmers would have done it by now if they were going to. I assume gJED means an end to native 3dsMax support. The trouble is, when working in an environment compatible with the current 3dsMax plugs, gJED just ends up being more buttons to press in a whole other program. Native 3dsMax support is a lovely thing. It's just limited by 32bit (and the supported versions of 3dsMax).

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Okie dokie. :)