Glows and other textures

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Guineapiggy, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

How do I create a glowing object, or more importantly, an object that glows a color other than white? I'm also having trouble making a shiny bump-mapped surface that doesn't get washed out in daylight, as in, reflects back more coloured light than white light.

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

On the material side of things, white emissive glows the brightest, take a light glow texture from anywhere, paint it red, don't touch the alpha. Use a white emissive colour and it will glow red. You can change the emissive colour but there is no real need to.

As for scene lights, you can also set the colour of the light to project what ever colour you want it to. IE, look at the brake lights.

3. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

When choosing a specular colour (you mentioned wanting to reflect coloured light instead of white light on your shiny bump map) just bear in mind that most substances have a white specular reflection because the light is bouncing off the surface and not being absorbed by the material. Metals are a common exception.

Have a look here for some interesting discussion on the why's and how's of specular reflection with some game graphics devs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I've been struggling with this for a while - for non-glow maps is it at all possible we could get an emissive map for any textures or does it already exist? Otherwise we're limited to one emissive colour per texture. (Certainly colouring the specular map doesn't seem to achieve anything.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

No clue on emissive maps or assigning the glow/sheen of a surface to a coloured map?

6. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

best having the emmisive section as a separate overlay or decal i imagine with transparency.

sheen can be done with a cube map though which is controlled by a different map somewhere (diffuse alpha or spec alpha) i'm not sure which shader offers this mind.

7. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Thanks, I'll give it a try but more shader documentation would be greatly appreciated, aye.