Getting back into RF2 and Skip Barber car. Need help.

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Bsmooth, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

I'm still running iRacing and my favorite car by far is the Skippy, actually managed to win a few races too. But my schedule and iRacings don't seem to match up as well as they used to.So I need something with an AI to drive against. I haven't driven RF2 for abour 1 or 2 years. But I tried the Skip Barber car for the last week and all I seem to do is spin it all the time, especially at Lime Rock.
    I use a TSW2 wheel so I don't have FFB, which was great for iRacing and not so good for RF2, but thats what I have.
    I know theres only a few things you can change in the setups, but could someone suggest a few changes to tame the jitteriyness down a bit as well as the oversteer?
    I did read some old posts from Murtaya about toe settings and some others about lowering the camber, but still not sure which would be the most effective for what I need.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

3. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

One of the main things when swapping between the two is that the rFactor 2 version is a lot nicer if your bring the tyres up to temp.

On rF2 leave the pits, give it two - Three laps of gentle pace (not too slow, just don't go full race pace) and it will feel much more intuitive and grippy.

4. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

That name is from when I started sim racing, back in the ole GPL days. That was probably the best advice I got when driving a car quick, matter of fact I try and practice it everyday when I drive IRL. Although with my old truck I drive, I'm happy when it just stops!
    there was a good book I read ages ago, and I wish I still had it(loaned it to a friend who was going Kart racing and never got it back) but that was one of the things it stressed as well. Ease off the brakes and ease on the gas, gentle steering inputs. A smooth driver is usually a faster driver. So yes Bsmooth indeed !
    Yes I did pick through that thread, but wondered If there were anything else as far as setup for the car that would make it a bit less twitchy and oversteer as much. Besides braking earlier and always trying to keep a bit of throttle on going into a turn.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Steering angle maybe, if its too tight or too loose it will not help much. angle combined with whatever degree your wheel is set to of course.
    I don't recall oversteer issues with the skippy and I've raced it allot. its far from nervous either, its actually a pretty stable car even with default setup.
    So i'm not sure its the setup per se, it could be your input that's making it nervous.

Lime Rock is perfect for this, I've found that pushing harder, and indeed as you do, keep the throttle on, makes for more stability. hesitate and it will indeed snap off or make you lose it.
    (in that sense the skippy is more nervous, as it will let you know right away if it doesn't agree with your input)
    That's also due to the nature of the track, there's not many lines to take so even when pushing harder we gotta keep the same lines. (in other words its the entry and exits that matter the most)

Being smooth but pushing like hell seemed key for me, was constantly finding more speed no matter how fast I was going and stability increased as well because apexes just became better and better.

Which skippy are you using? the national or regional? there's quite a difference in tires between them.

6. matf1

matf1 Registered

You come off throttle too quick, you lose the rear! Use 20% when you think you need 0%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Using the regional with the treaded tires, wasn't quite sure how to get the national with slicks.

8. matf1

matf1 Registered

Select the car, hit tuning, then select national from the options, back and accept.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

9. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

I forgot how much I like RF2, but at the same time, theres something just not quite right about the cars. Its a strange wavering back and forth at high speeds with the back end of the car.I have used many of the cars in iracing and they don't exhibit this. The Skippy for example is a great car, my favorite as I mentioned.
    The cars in both sims are extremely close. Not sure whether the car in iRacing is national or regional. But the national in RF2 is spot on with no wavering at high speed, the regional on the other hand has it. Matter of fact all the cars have it, almost like the toe is off in the back end.
    Faster you go the worse it is. The National car is a blast, and I think the regional could be, without that crazy floaty feel from the back end.

10. Tony

Tony Registered

mm.. I find some of the other rear wheel drive cars have this (the Howstons particularly & the Spark & Eve F1 Historics to a lesser degree), & I think it's slightly exaggerated "torque steer" through the rear wheels - some love it - I don't, lol

Try upping the Differential Lock value quite a bit as that'll reduce this (or try upping the Power value only)

Also there will be some toe-in on the rear wheels on default I think - so make that value: 0.00 (ie. rear wheels parallel) & try that :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015