Garage paths

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by iDTDoug, Jul 9, 2013.

1. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I've tried everything i can think of to add a garage path and just cannot get rf not to crash when trying to save the path, none of the options listed work.
    I can delete all waypoints.
    I can create a new main path
    I can create and connect a 1st pit lane
    File saves just fine.

every additional path crashes RF.

I think i created a fake main path once and transferred those waypoints into the aiw file but the brand id's are wrong and the AI dont follow it. Any ideas on what to do? rf1 was so much easier.

2. Bink

Bink Registered

Yea... there are still some things that are inconsistent at best, and CTD at worst in dev mode.

In order to find out if it is my track causing the problems, or the sdk (dev mode), I usually try every operation on a copy of Joesville first.

That's how I determined that recent builds have a problem (again...) consuming long tracks. rF1 never could build over 10k waypoints, and it seems like recent builds of rf2 can not either. Initially (early builds of rF2) could do it.

About your garage path problems...

One thing noticed in recent dev mode builds.. was wp_oriantation values are 180 degrees flipped when creating pit & fast lines via dev mode rF1-rF2 conversion ... in contrast to when you "drive" the lines in with dev mode. So you can end up with a file with both flavors of ori.... if .. for instance .. the whole track was done via conversion, and the fast line was re-done by 'driving it in'.

[By 'rF1-rF2 conversion' I mean: starting rF2 dev mode with rf2 track meshes, and an rF1 aiw file.... save corr & wp, then reload.]

I've not seen an official description wp_oriantation yet, but It seems plausible trying to connect a pit path to a fast path if/when each have a different version of waypoint values could be a cause of problems. (?)

So... I don't know if that is related to what you are experiencing, but you might want to make sure that your garage path, and your fast path (or pit path.. etc) were created EITHER by rF1-->rF2 conversion..... OR both were created by "driving them in" in Dev Mode. Maybe worth a try.

On occasion I've tried asking aiw questions on threads where ISI staff were answering questions, but have so far been ignored. Last time was on a thread ISI's MikeZ was answering lots of user aiw questions on. [Except mine, apparently.] [In their defense, they did thank me when I emailed them a copy of my aiCam script for 3dsMax..]

I know this sounds like a lot of whining, which it is.... but it's not directed at their programmers (some of my favorite selves are programmers). It's just that ISI documentation is more than a bit underwhelming.... and you never know which problems they may (or may never) address.

Why I am writing my own dev mode replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  3. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

you mean AIW editor right?

4. Bink

Bink Registered

yea.. ~12 hrs a day... have not worked on my track since Feb. Hope to get to it by next Feb.

5. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

well, at least im not alone.
    Basic path creation you would think would be such a major hindrance that it would get fixed but every new sdk is he same. Tried it on both my vegas and cleveland tracks and no dice..